Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh No. Rust!

Exclamation Oh No. Rust!

Well. I decided to do a little work in the shop today and discovered that both my jointer and tablesaw tops are developing rust.

So here's my question. What do you use to protect your surfaces from rust? And what do you use to clean rust off?

I have used Boshield T-9 in the past but I am all out. I have some Bostik Topcoat but I am not sure that it is the right tool for the job.

Thanks for all the help.

Im also curious about my TS cast iron table if it needs coating.Nothing in the book says so, and my thought are you dont want oily substances on your wood, but seems logical to have something on it. Smeone here will know for sure.

I just use simple paste wax...it happens to be Minwax brand 'cause it's been in the cabinet for years. If I were buying new, I'd likely use S C Johnson paste wax. I've not found a need for anything else and re-apply about twice a year. I've never had rust to-date.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    In SoCal, Johnson's Wax and regular use seem to do the trick. Some inherited stuff that had traces of rust I restored with 400 - 600 grit paper and a light machine oil.

I have an old plane of grandpas that has it bad. I assume electro-therapy is due for that guy. I did read something about a guy who used a wet towel and the electrolysis method to clean up his saw top. The towel method isn't here but the general method is:

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The thing that has helped the most with rust in my shop is not wax or T-9 or anything like that. It's a fan that I have always on in there now. It circulates enough air in there to help keep the ambient moisture from settling.

For extra protection, especially during the humid summer, I have tool covers for my tablesaw, jointer and bandsaw. I put them on every night that I leave the shop.

Pete

PS. Always clean the sawdust off at the end of each working day. Sawdust holds moisture. Also do not leave any wood on the cast iron.

this reminds me.....

Does Turtle Car Wax, have silicone in it? I can't seem to find it on the label and I think in an old issue of FWW, they used Turtle Wax in a rust prevention article.

Just curious.

Joe

7. I use a product called "topcoat" and get mine from lee valley. Works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    The thing that has helped the most with rust in my shop is not wax or T-9 or anything like that. It's a fan that I have always on in there now. It circulates enough air in there to help keep the ambient moisture from settling.
    Pete

PS. Always clean the sawdust off at the end of each working day. Sawdust holds moisture. Also do not leave any wood on the cast iron.
    110% with Pete on this one. Learned that little trick from a mechanic friend of mine years ago. I've had some sort of fan running in my shops 24x7 for the last 13 years or so. I still use silicone-free paste wax on all my big cast iron surfaces but, that's more for the "slide-ability" than anything else.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Removing and preventing rust on Machinery. Go to Taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00183.asp (dtd 5/17/2006). It states to remove rust " use a rubber sanding block and some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper or fine grit steel wool. Wear rubber gloves and use a small amount of mineral spirits. Keep doing until all of the wax and rust is removed". FWW suggests then coating with a liberal coat of Topcoat. I have done this on my Unisaw and jointer and have nice clean shiny cast iron. . If you have a problem getting this article, then come back to me. Good Luck

I use 400 grit wet/dry sand paper on a rubber sanding block, wipe with a clean terry cloth towel and add Minwax furniture paste wax. Keeps the cast iron in great shape. I have read that car wax probably has silicone in it so I have avoided it.
    David B

Been using past wax for years with great results. Past wax is made to withstand foot traffic on wood floors so it holds up good. Car wax will not hold up as long and will not be as slick on a saw top as past wax.

My machines were all in storage for over a year… lots of rust as in the surfaces needed to be restored.

Brought them back to new with single-edged razors mounted in one of those flip out scraper-like thingies, mineral spirits, and a cup wire brush attached to a drill.

The razor got more than 90% of the rust off… quickly.

Wipe the top/s down with mineral spirits.

Wire cup finished it off.

Paste wax.

I did the fan thing for years. Now I paste wax… best ever.

Another vote for paste wax. Boeshield, and the rest didn't work for me. Paste wax is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Does Turtle Car Wax, have silicone in it? I
    I would suggest avoiding automotive wax just on the basis it MIGHT have silicone or other undesirable additives in it. Simple furniture paste wax such as SC Johnson Wax is the best bet...and you can use it on the furniture, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most stores have the Johnson's Paste Wax by the cleaning products if you are having trouble finding it.