Thread: Segmented Vase

Segmented Vase

Hi, I just finished this one today. I posted a similar shaped vase a couple of weeks ago and based on the critiques, (I asked for them! ) I made a few changes on this one. I sloped the "shoulder" area a little more to make a smoother transition to the neck. I also added a small feature to finish off the top by using a different color at the top. Though it is kind of hard to see, I also "squared off" the top to try to match the square chain look of the middle rings.

12" tall and 7" wide. 385 pieces of purpleheart and yellowheart. Finished with Waterlox Original. Please let me know the positives, but especially any negatives in the shape. I am designing these myself on the computer and sometimes they come out the way I envision them and sometimes they don't!

Thanks for looking........
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks nice the shape kinda reminds me of a weeble wobble the colors look good the only thing i could think of that might make it look better would be to make the chain stand out. as in use a completely different color than what it there it would make the chain idea stand out more instead of half the people looking at the yellow squares.
    one question is your purpleheart that light colored or is that just the picture?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Robert - this one looks very nice indeed! I definately see the modification in the shape and I like it. More of a gentle sloping curve. Very interesting idea for the top and it works well. Nice colors, good solid jointery, a pleasing design and a great finish! Couldn't ask for much more than that! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Robert that is a beauty. Pleasing form, wood colors and finish. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Robert,
    I think you've got a great start! I think a few very small tweaks can make it even better than it is now!

I really think the top two rows of yellowheart added a nice contrasting touch to the top. You may want to consider keeping the top row flat (unturned and 6 or 8 sided???) for a nice effect (while rounding the yellowheart layer below and tapering into the top layer).

Upper Half
    I would like to see a little more curve about half way up the piece that would result in a little longer neck. I think it would look better if the that area between the hip and neck areas were a little more concave instead of being almost flat.

Lower
    I like the pattern at the hip of your piece but I didn't see the chain effect until after it was mentioned. Maybe you'll want to change the design a little so that it is more obvious. It may look more like a chain with a third color of wood for every other link (though it may end up looking too busy)

I hope something here helps you just a little bit (though you really don't need it).

Take care,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 03-02-2008 at 11:35 PM.

If you did not asked for a critique I'd say I like it like that. Now that you made me look deeper (this is a matter of preference and pleasing someone’s eye) I can picture the top flaring upwards instead of being flat. The shape to me is close to the one of a water tier. May be I would refine the curve going to the top just a bit more and try to mimic just that, a water tier.
    Still I would be truly happy I could make it just half as nice as yours

Robert, I like it , only things I may have done diff is the chain, I did not see it untill it was pointed out, I think,( just me mind you) that if the chain had been done in the yellow heart it would jump right out, as it is in the ph , I had to focus on it to see it . the rim edge , the whole piece flows till you get to the rim and it changes from soft flowing curves to sharp contrasting angles , and the neck transition to the rim needs to curve out slightly at about the same curve the shoulder has. The registrations, joints and finish are very good and that is to be expected from you as your work is execuited quite well.
    John 3:16

Robert, your joinery looks perfect - couldn't be better.
    Last edited by Malcolm Tibbetts; 03-03-2008 at 1:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Robert this is an excellent piece, I think the changes that you have incorporated in it are very effective. I think the shape flows well, the only thing I might have done different would have been to apply a contrasting layer between the yellow heart and the purple heart of the feature ring. But that's just me, I actually love the piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Okay, here is the thing with the "chain" design. I mentioned in the original post that I was designing these myself on the computer. When I first started building this, I pictured several rows of perfectly spaced squares surrounding the middle of the vase. I was going to do something similar around the top of the vase. I made the rings 3/8" thick, so I basically subtracted 3/8" of an inch from each purpleheart segment and glued a 3/8" square piece of yellowheart to the end of each piece and made a 24 segment ring. (and a nod to Malcolm's book, the rings were actually 1" thick and I split them using a jig to save time) I attached the rings together and made sure they were all aligned properly. I put a ring of yellowheart above and below the squares to set them off. As I turned and built up the rings, I thought the squares looked pretty good. After about two thirds of the vase was complete, I looked at it from across the shop and the "chain" popped into my head. After that, I could no longer see the yellowheart squares, just the purpleheart chain. I took a poll with the family, and it appears that if you are close, you see the squares and if you are a distance away, you see the chain effect.
    My first optical illusion. I just wish that it had been on purpose.

Sorry for the rambling, but I think that I have a segmented addiction. Thanks for the critiques so far. That is how I learn and improve.

Blog Entries
    Hi Robert, nice job. The piece flows very nicely and I like the pattern. Great job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Very impressive Robert.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

I can relate to being addicted to segmenting. Is that yellow colour natural or stained?
    Jim
    If you think you are too small to make a difference,
    Try sleeping in a dark room with a mosquito.

Thumbs up

Interesting Teardrop shape. Good choice of woods, Nice work.