Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress on my table

Amy,

Glue alone, screws, Miller dowels (I've used hundreds), and corner blocks will all work. However, I think maybe a bigger concern right now would be to ensure that your miters (or bevels) come together without any gaps. The longer you wait the more potential for the aprons to move (i.e. bow, twist, etc.), in turn creating a misaligned joint. Whatever your decision I would glue up the aprons like a frame first, reinforce with contrasting (or not) splines - then secure them to the legs. That way any gap that was created by the apron movement will be between the apron and the leg which will in turn be covered by the top.

My 2 cents.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni View Post
    However, I think maybe a bigger concern right now would be to ensure that your miters (or bevels) come together without any gaps. The longer you wait the more potential for the aprons to move (i.e. bow, twist, etc.), in turn creating a misaligned joint. Whatever your decision I would glue up the aprons like a frame first, reinforce with contrasting (or not) splines - then secure them to the legs. That way any gap that was created by the apron movement will be between the apron and the leg which will in turn be covered by the top.
    I have to admit, this is a big concern to me. I would be very disappointed with gaps in the corners. Let me get on SketchUp this evening and "sketch up" something I'm tossing around in my head, then I'll post it. It might allow me to alleviate the bracing concerns and allow me to glue up the aprons soon.

Joe, I love the Display Table on your website! Is that your design?

-Amy

So here are three pics which I hope will depict what I am thinking.
    1. Base of table... legs, aprons, and added bracing.
    2. Added drawer and cabinet. (obviously drawer slides have been left out, and I will have to alter the drawer dimension a little in order to attach drawer slides... that's do-able)
    3. Finished table with tabletop attached.
    Will this alleviate my bracing concerns?

And with this set up I should be able to join the aprons and the one long cross brace together before I attach them to the rails, correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images