Thread: TS Blade diameter's different sizes?????

TS Blade diameter's different sizes?????

This afternoon I was biulding a blade holder in one of mu shop cabinets. I took dimentions off of a Freud Industrial Rip (24 Tooth) and found that it was actually 9.75 inches in diameter, not 10 inches. I figured that that was the standard only to find out the hard way that my FS and Delta Combination (50 tooth) blades are very close to 10 inches in diameter.

I now need to find an way to fix my blade storage fixture.

Can anyone explain why this is? Are all Ripping blades purposefully smaller, or is this unique to Freud??

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Fulkerson; 03-02-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Many blades are made to fit European saws and are sized in metric plates if they are to be marketed in multiple countries. That way you can stock say 250mm plate, and just by boring different arbor holes you can sell to multiple markets. As I recall most of Freud's blades sold in the US are 254mm (10") but there are a few 250mm blades. Most of Amana's blades are sold as inch sizes but actually are metric. Also many blades can lose 1/2" or more in diameter during their life from sharpening.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

I noticed this blade difference with my SawStop. At first I was unhappy that the riving knife wasn't below my WW II blade as it was supposed to be. (Fixed it by grinding down the knife a bit). Then some time later when I replaced the WW II blade(sharpening) with the supplied SawStop blade I noticed the larger diameter of the SawStop blade when I had to adjust the brake clearance so much. I didn't measure the 2 but I'm sure that was the reason for the riving knife being too high for the WW 2.