Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Powermatic 66 - USA Made?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Steffeck View Post
    Well, I guess it would depend on what you are comparing it to. I didn't find that to be true with my comparisons. My General 650 was cheaper than the SawStop PCS and new Unisaw. It was right around the same price as the PM2000 that I initially ordered, but couldn't get.
    true but they are quite a bit more than the standard asian offering. That said the General name is an assurance of quality and long life.

2. I was phishing for an explanation of why the SawStop is not more expensive. I think I got the answer. Being built in Taiwan and China, I now wonder why it is not less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    I was phishing for an explanation of why the SawStop is not more expensive. I think I got the answer. Being built in Taiwan and China, I now wonder why it is not less expensive.
    Hey Richard, In my opinion, SawStop is more expensive because #1 they are greedy too. The saw, according to claims made by the company, is built to tighter tolerances and better materials than all other comparable saws. That, notwithstanding, the safety device is where they get you. They feel that people that want to be safe when they woodwork should pay a hefty premium. Surely, in all the years that the SS has been out, the R&D is close to being recouped.

SawStop tried to get the government to force all other manufacturers to use their safety blade system. The government said no. Personally, I think that everyone should use it. Add the cost of the blade guard and move on. Safety should be paramount to manufacturers when the technology is there. Perhaps this liability case of the ryobi table saw will bring a little heat to the table even if that guy was, allegedly, not using the saw appropriately. Even when the saw is used inappropriately, the SawStop would still trigger. Sawstop could learn from the Germans, when Mercedes Benz came up with an advancement in seat belts and the manufacture of a safer seat, they shared that technology with all the other automakers. Should SawStop share and not make anything off the deal? No, but, they could rethink the price structure to bring safe sawing to the masses. In the process they would make a great deal of money just in the cartridges and giving the technology to the other saw manufacturers. The boost in sales would take SawStop to a whole other level. After all, once the tech for the SawStop system was created, they are now not innovating, they are maintaining. They never reinvented the saw, just the safety of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I agree that if you look at the price of the 650 saw for example, it's a lot more money than the lowest priced import.

If you look however at the saw quality, and performance,
    Regards, Rod.

Rod the only problem with the 650 is it is a 20th century saw (even just considering NA cabinet saws). The PM, Uni and SS saws appear to be at least equal in quality and have it beat in multiple areas in terms of features. In the end buy _______ (insert your country of choice) is not only difficult but rather expensive. Just like many things most people don't put there money where their mouth is, myself included except I have pretty much given up on buy American. I buy each item based on quality and price with little regard anymoer to country of origin. Sad really.

Question

Now for the really important question: When did David change his name to Yoshikuni Masato, and why does it seem like I'm the only one that's noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Now for the really important question: When did David change his name to Yoshikuni Masato, and why does it seem like I'm the only one that's noticed.

LOL John; I did notice that too; figured David..errr Yoshikuni just decided to go international . Or, because this was a resurrected thread, something got screwed up archiving the thread. Personally, I hope it's the former; always good to see a forumite broaden their horizons.