Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very basic question regarding wiring flourescent lights...

A very basic question regarding wiring flourescent lights...

I have a very basic question regarding fluorescent lights that I can’t seem to answer. I’ve attempted to use the SMC search engine, read through the home wiring book from B&D, and even tried searching the internet for this answer with no luck.

Is it better to wire 5 separate T8 4’ double bulb fluorescent fixtures by pig tailing the wires within the fixture or pig tailing the wires in a junction box outside the fixture? After pig tailing the wires using the correct method the wire would continue on to the next fixture and the method repeated. They will be controlled by one switch and running of one 15A circuit using 14/2. Is there a better way to go about this or am I on the right track?

For background I am converting a 22’x12’ area in my basement to a shop. I will be installing a sub panel and running the 5 fixtures from the sub panel on a 15amp dedicated circuit. I already have two single light fixtures with regular light bulbs in the shop that run off the main panel. I plan on tapping into that line from the main panel and adding a few fluorescent fixtures so that if the sub panel trips I will have plenty of “emergency” light.

I’m wiring up the outlets and lights myself but am hiring an electrician to check my work and to hook up the sub panel to the main panel. Thanks for your help.

2. I would wire a power supply cord to each fixture and then just put up nail-on boxes with a single receptacle in each box. Pig tail the receptacles on one circuit. This way you are able to repair/replace a fiture without having to shut down power. Double check me on your draw but you should be fine with the 15 amp circuit to run your lights.

Bob

Now I'm assuming that the power line is going to the switch. If this is correct, I'd run from the switch to the first light, then run a wire to the next light in the series and so on until power is supplied to all lamps. Plus I'd make the connections inside the fixture.
    BTW, to help, here is a very good site to search for help on wiring, plumbing, and other good stuff:
    http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

I put a short plug in cord on each of mine and mounted a box in the ceiling at each one. The fixtures hang from chains. That makes it easy to take one down for service rather than work on a ladder.

Kewan,

I have 11 8' 4 T-8 bulb fixtures in my shop. 3 rows of 3 fixtures and 1 row of 2 fixtures.

I placed a outlet box at the end of each row. Each row is controlled by it's own switch.

In each row, one 8' fixture is butted up to and connected to it's neighbor. the first fixture has a pig-tail that plugs into the outlet box. Internally fixtures are pigtailed using wire of high enough temp rating to withstand the heat of the ballast during operation.

1/2 of the lighting is on one circuit....the other 1/2 on another circuit. Should one breaker trip.....I'd still have 1/2 the lighting if it was turned on.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If the wires come out of the fixtures at the ends (rather than the center) then I would place the junction boxes between the fixtures and either hard wire or add a plug to the end of the pig tail. I would do as much work outside the fixture as possible. If it is inside the fixture and you decide to change something or the fixture needs to be changed out, you'll have to take the fixtures apart to get to the pigtails.

Thanks for all the great (and quick) responses. Your responses bring up good points and help to clarify things for me. I like the idea of putting in outlets and running plug cords to each fixture so that it is easier to switch out bad fixtures or add/rearrange fixtures for better light. I think I will go that route.

I have found planning out the shop and working to get it ready is a lot of fun. Over the weekend I painted the walls white and that has already made a big difference in the light level. My next step is to run the wiring for the fixtures and outlets. As always, thanks for the help.

I have myself done short plug cords and outlets. But now that I think of it - how often have I moved any of those fixtures since I hung them? I would say in 10 years - never. So it might not be worth the extra hassle

I have various round boxes in my ceiling rafters in my garage and I just hardwired the 8' T8 fixtures right to them with some "nice looking" round, white wire. I have 4 rows (2 8' fixtures per row) and 4 switches.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If shop lights are hung from chains and can move around they should be wired with flex cable not solid building wire. An easy solution is install boxes and outlets and then connect the fixtures with cords. That's the typical industrial standard. If you have to service a fixture, it's easy to just unplug it and take it down without doing it in the dark.

I like to install pull chain switches on each fixture so I can turn off the ones I don't want if I'm in the shop just puttering around at the bench in the evening.

I got started with the lighting project last night and assembled and hung all the fixtures. Tonight I want to tackle the wiring but I had another follow up question. I have 50’ of 14/2 MC wire (this is the MC-THHN type with black, white, and green wires) that a neighbor gave to me. Since it was free I was going to use this for the lights.

Does code allow you to run MC from the ceiling to the light switch without conduit? This is in a basement with cinder block walls so the MC would be out in the open. I know some wire needs to be protected by conduit when potential damage can occur (like exposed wire on a wall leading to a switch) but I didn't know if MC qualified as acceptable protection.

I posted this question over at www.selfhelpforums.com but it looks like that forum isn’t as frequented as SMC. Thanks for the help.

OK - do you mean the spiral-bound, metal encased cable?
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 03-05-2008 at 8:10 PM.

Rob - yes, this is the spiral bound metal enclased cable. It has individual THHN wires (black, white, green) encased by the spiral bound metal.

For your installation, it looks like MC cable needs to be treated pretty much like NM cable. Article 330 covers the requirements specific to MC cable. Under Uses Not Permitted, the first thing listed is "Where subject to physical damage." [330.12(1)]

A simple way to accomplish what you want is to run the MC through the ceiling joists. When you get over to the point where you need to run down the wall, take a length of straight 2x4 (good luck finding that!) long enough to reach from the ceiling down to where you will mount the switch box. You might want to use pressure-treated for this. Route a groove down the middle of the 2x4 deep enough to take the MC cable - probably about 1/2" will do. Make the groove just deep enough so the MC cable is flush with the surface. Fasten the 2x4 to the cinder blocks (something like Tapcon screws would be fine). This does 2 things - it gives you an easy place to mount your switch box and by recessing the MC cable in the groove, that should suffice for "protecting it from damage". You can secure the MC cable to the 2x4 with normal cable staples. By not making the groove too deep, the MC cable won't flop around inside the groove under the staples.

If you want to be extra sure, call your local building inspector and ask if that meet installation meets their criteria for protecting the MC cable from damage.

Rob
    Addy protocol: unlicensed, homeowner electrician

Ignore me, my brain isn't on yet this morning.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Coleman; 03-06-2008 at 8:10 AM.