Thread: Grizzly GO453 15" PLANER

Grizzly GO453 15" PLANER

Anyone on the Creek own a Grizzly 15" Planer, (GO453). I am considering the purchase but would like some feedback from anyone who owns or used one. How difficult is it to change the blades? I can't justify the one with the Spiral Cutterhead.
    Thanks,
    Jerry Todd
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Jerry, I have one and I suppose I have run 500 bd ft of wood through it. It does a great job, especially at the slow speed. The end product needs to be sanded because you will see very small planer milling marks, but that has not been a hassle. I did set the rollers on the bed for fine finishing but that seems to be recommended by most everyone that has one. That way there is little or no snipe.

It is a great improvement over the Delta lunch box planer I had before.

Harley

I have the Grizzly 20 in planer which is similar and it works well. Blade changes are quite easy and there are two ways to set it up-either with springs or set screws. I use the springs.

Fred Mc.

Hi,
    I have the G0453, took me a while to get everything adjusted correctly but now it does a very good job. I ran about 150 bf of maple thru it last weekend. I do not see the planer marks mentioned above (i do see them with my jointer) when I hold a freshly planed board up to the light it reflects like glass! Initially my planer was extremely noisy when used with my dust collector, it just screamed! Then one day when I was adjusting rollers which is kind of a pain because you need to remove the dust collector cover to gain access for the adjustments(Grizzly did us no favors by making the cover difficult to remove). I put everything together again but forgot to tighten a plactic chip breaker shield that comes pretty close to the cutter head. I turned on the machine and there was an explosion of orange plastic chunks! Turned it off, opened it up removed the plastic pieces. Amazingly the blades still looked good. I just left out the chip breaker which was nothing more than a thick sheet of plastic with a beveled edge that hugged the cutter head. I restarted the planer (with the dust collector running) and it was much quieter and the blades were OK. I have not noticed any problems by running without the chip breaker. I have a spare set of blades and also purchased the planer pal magnetic blade holders to help when the time comes. I have the jointer pal magnetic blade holder and with it I can change out the 4 blades on my 8 inch jointer in 15 minutes.

Paul

Just got mine recently and haven't used it much yet, but love it. It does a great job. It is much quieter than my lunchbox. I have no snipe, but do get very slight marks from the feed roller when I take a light pass. It hasn't been enough for me to attempt correction. Someone posted recently that they had forgotten to remove the foam strip adjacent to the chip breaker when they hooked up DC and did not get good collection until it was removed. You may want to do a search to see other posts.