Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best place to get wood in nj or mail order?

I would think from Summit, US Mohogany is relatively close (well not too far). I personnally think it is an OK place and it is only 15 minutes from me. While I don't think it is fantastic, I think it is acceptable and convenient.

I would not venture to Mr. Roberts from Summit as they generally don't have large quantities as somebody else noted. The only reason I go there is when I need a small amount of wood when visiting my BIL (he lives 1 minute from there).

Some of my friends use Monteath and they have said they are OK, too.

M

Any place for furniture grade plywood? I wouldn't mind driving far for quality stuff.

By the way, does anybody stock 1" ply?

Yes Monteath is a good place

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    You could try Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge. They usually have some exotics there, and I'm sure that if they don't, they know how to get it.

I used to live in East Brunswick and Monteahth was 10 minutes from my house. They have great prices on raw lumber and exotics. They also have expensive cabinet grade veneered lumber at 150.00 a sheet(they are reseller so I wont beat them up over defects). I now live in Watchung and am in the same boat as you looking for a good hardwood lumber yard.

I'm of the opinion that since the quality of the lumber one uses is really important to the end result for a project, if one has to do a bit of a drive to get the "right material", it's worth every mile and every gallon of fuel to do it. If I only need something common and in smaller quantities, there are local places I might buy from, even if the price isn't ideal just for convenience. But when I want something special or I'm not really sure what I want for a project or I'm looking for something to inspire a project...I'll make the drive to Hearne or similar. When I first started woodworking a number of years ago, I did buy quite frequently form Willard Bros, especially during sales. I broke away from that for awhile because I was perceiving a drop in quality and quantity about that time. I believe they have really reinvented the business in recent years and I'll likely visit them again just to check things out. But Hearne remains my "candy store" for the "good stuff"... So my point is don't eschew a little travel if it's the right thing to do for your craft.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like M. w. Quinn Hardwood Lumber:

M W Quinn Hardwood Lumber

Quinn M W Hardwood Lumber & Saw Mill 250 Oxford Valley Road
    Yardley, PA 19067
    Phone: (215) 493-6252

Not far from Sesame Place and Oxford Valley Mall, Oxford Valley, PA

A one man operation, no showroom but a nice selection of domestic and imported hardwoods, reasonably priced. Give Mike a call for details and availability.
    Last edited by Robert Guice; 02-03-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added vicinity

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kim View Post
    Any place for furniture grade plywood? I wouldn't mind driving far for quality stuff.

By the way, does anybody stock 1" ply?
    I've ordered prefinished ply from Kuiken Brothers (http://www.kuikenbrothers.com/) in the past. Good prices and the delivery driver was able to shove a stack of 10-15 sheets into my garage without damaging the plywood or the garage. I think they will have 1" ply in stock (if not, they can source it in a few days).

Quick gut check. Original post was 8 years ago....

Wood Boards and Beams in Pine Brook NJ right off of Route 46. Great place, epic selection, slabs, sheet goods, mouldings, exotics, cheap off-cuts.
    I've known the owner since he started up and grew it into what it is now.
    fantastic place, and good pricing, which they list on the website.
    best prices are in the rough, not S4S

http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/?g...Z0JhoCna_w_wcB