Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this fit in at a lawyers office?

Blog Entries

Will this fit in at a lawyers office?

I am working on my first paying project. I am making a fancy bookcase for a lawyer at my son's firm. I figure I'm making about 50 cents an hour on it, but, hey I'm having fun and I didn't have to pay for the wood. I told him he will get it delivered when it's done. No deadline, and he agreed. Anyway, I thought I would post this for all to see before I started putting the finish on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,

Beautiful work!!! The case looked good the last time I saw it in person, but it really looks good now. Love the fluting. Excellent job.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Terry. I was worried that I would have a tough time making the cove molding with the shopsmith, plus I had never made cove molding on the table saw before. It was suprisingly easy.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Thanks, Terry. I was worried that I would have a tough time making the cove molding with the shopsmith, plus I had never made cove molding on the table saw before. It was suprisingly easy.
    Honestly, I'm really amazed that you did all this on your Shopsmith. I have enough trouble making something look good with dedicated tools. Just think how good you'll be when you get your cabinet saw and your big jointer!!!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking good Larry. How are you going to finish that cherry? Your joinery looks nice and tight. Shoot - I'll hire you and pay you $1 and hour!!

It's beautiful. Say, at 0.50 an hour, I hope you claim at least 16,000 "billable" hours for this project. Lawyers are pretty clever at billing their time, so they should understand some creative accounting on your part. thanks for sharing your work with us.

Larry, the bookcase is really nice. the moulding and the fluting really stand out, looking forward to seeing the "finished" piece. I just made a couple of cabinet's for the fabric shop my wife works in, nothing fancy, but what her boss wanted. Got paid too, unlike you though, I only made $0.25 and hour I bet, but did have fun making them. Great job.

Rick

Beautiful work Larry!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

i'm a lawyer. . .

and I'd love to have it in MY office. Think we could work something out? Nice work. How are you going to finish it?
    Tony

Not only will the lawyer you're biulding it for be happy, the others will want one also. Time to raise your price.

That's the kind of piece that wold look good anywhere. Nice work.

KC

Blog Entries
    The client wants a very dark redish color to match his desk. I am going to be spraying on transfast dye stain and mixing my own. He gave me a drawer from the desk to match. I am almost there on the color, I think it needs a little more red. I will then just add a few coats of poly.
    Should be done by the weekend.
    Larry J Browning

Looks great, Larry. 'Can't wait to see the finished unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Larry, I love the cove molding. Nice work. So if you require this lawyer's services, is he only going to charge you $.50 an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Larry, I love the cove molding. Nice work. So if you require this lawyer's services, is he only going to charge you $.50 an hour?
    Beautiful work Larry.

and of course, if he gets injured while reaching up to get a book, he has the resources to take action ............ hehe

Nice work dude. I love that fluting and the crown moulding is wonderful

I see a problem

Larry -

Glad you posted this prior to finishing. I see a problem! You are going to have to make one for everyone else there, plus all their clients. Better think about a realistic price.

That looks great! Did you get the plans somewhere or is that your design?

Well done,
    Ted