Thread: New Nova 1624 Lathe - Advice

New Nova 1624 Lathe - Advice

Hello: I've been lurking for a few months while I have been taking a turning course at a local retailer. I'm new to turning but enjoy it alot, during the course I was able to turn a couple bowls, a lidded box and a pepper mill, mostly with a focus on technique.

I have researched new lathes online and driven mostly by the good review in FWW, have focused on the Nova 1624 at $1,000 plus the outboard rig ($260). This seems to be a good first machine and good value. I am interested in hearing from other Nova owners and from others if there is another good choice in that price range.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its all good when its done. If its not good, its not done.

Hi Dennis,

I have this same lathe without the outrigger and love it. Speed changes are a breeze and the 1.5hp motor is all the guts most people will need if they balance their blanks.

Problems or issues I have had....
    The motor pulley slipped and got damaged. Apparently this was not uncommon and Teknatool have changed the design somehow. Right now my lowest speed pulley and third fastest are not useable because those steps shread belts. I have had a hard time getting in touch with the N. American rep to get a new pulley.
    The stand, while sturdy, is too light. I got my lathe secondhand and the original owner rigged up some chain hanging from the bolts which attach the legs to the large brackets (he had to use some longer bolts). From this chain he slung a pair of 1.5" x 3" steel tubes which form a shelf. On this shelf I have, let's see...90lbs of Olympic plates, and 75lb anvil, a cinder block and about 40 litres of water jugs.

Can you get a better, bigger lathe? Sure but expect to pay a fair bit for it (remember, freight, brokerage and duty would be horrendous on a Jet or Powermatic). Would I buy the Nova again? Yes, because it has done everything I have asked of it and I can't afford a Oneway 2436.

cheers eh!
    Steve Kubien
    Ajax, Ontario

Dennis I turned on one of those and it is a good lathe for the money. When I was looking for a lathe I also turned on the Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR XP. I went with the DVR because of size and it fit my shop but of course it is a $1000 higher. I think you would be happy with that lathe. It had good hp and the one I turned on was really a smooth running machine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have that Nova model as well, also without the outboard extension. I have not had any problem with the pulleys to date. I have had mine for about 7 months.

I do concur with the stand comment from Steve. if you don't balance the larger blanks (free wood), at least somewhat, it will start walking on you. (I don't yet have the shelf, nor do I have it bolted into the floor)

I upgraded from a Jet Mini, which I really liked, to this Nova, which I really really like.

In my opinion, its hard to go wrong with this lathe, especially if you are just getting into it.

I highly recommend a chuck for it, and a dust collector, and a bandsaw for rounding, and storage for the blanks, and several gouges, and a sharpener, and a chain saw, and ... and... and...

I have the Nova DVR and very, very seldom use the outrigger. I would spend the money on a Oneway or Vicmarc chuck instead of the outrigger.

George, the only times I have really wished for the outrigger was with some wood which starts just over 16" in diameter (usually 17 or 18"). Of course, the roughed out shape ends up being slightly less than 16" but for those few passes......

Cheers,
    Steve Kubien

Dennis,
    I have the 1624 as well. I upgraded from a Jet mini as well. I haven't had a single problem wiht my lathe since I got it last July. I bought the outrigger when I bought the lathe but have not used it to the fullest capacity; I use if mainly to allow me to turn with the headsotck rotated 45 degrees. I find it saves my back since I don't have to lean over the bed of the lathe to cut the inside of a bowl. I don't have my lathe anchored to the floor nor do I have a weight shelf on it and I havent had any 'walk about' problems but haven't turned any really out of balance blanks yet. So far, I have been able to roughly balance my stock on the bandsaw and the roughout went went pretty well.
    I chose the 1624 for the foot print it took in my shop space; I also do very little spindle turning so the 24" turning length wasn't an issue for me. Fortunately, I am not so limited that I needed to spend the extra grand for the DVR. I think the DVR is an interesting concept but not worth the money for me; belt changing isn't at all cumbersome or time-consuming on the 1624. Plus, replacement motors will be readily available even if Tecknatool discontinues the DVR, goes out of business, etc., in the future.
    Hope this helps,
    Jerry