Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 66 or Craftsman 22114

Thanks again

Scott,

I'm in the DFW metroplex area, way too far to go to pay it forward, but thanks for the offer.

Grant,

Will do.

Thanks

Looks like I'm headed to HF

3. Quote Originally Posted by Louie George View Post
    I have a 50 inch Beisemyer that I never got around to installing on the Craftsman
    Isn't it funny how things work out. That fence was never meant to be on that saw

Quote Originally Posted by Louie George View Post
    Scott,

I'm in the DFW metroplex area, way too far to go to pay it forward, but thanks for the offer.

Grant,

Will do.
    I'm in the same area. If you are in the W (Fort Worth) side of DFW, I might be able to help out tomorrow (Sunday). Post here or PM me. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Louie,
    congrats, and good luck! PS, I have had stuff I thought I had "bought" sold out from under me to a guy that showed up with a trailer and more cash. I would not wait--get over there NOW!
    Dave is a wise sage. Take his advice. You could sell the motor for more then you are paying for the saw. You do not sit on deals like that. This is one of the very top best made saws, if not the best, and during an era when they made them properly, and all you need is the seller is having a passing conversation in a sandwich shop, and it is sold right out from under you.
    Let me give you just one example, and this has happened repeatedly in my lifetime. I was looking for a certain type of car, one finally appeared in the newspaper for a giveaway price, and the ad stated emphatically, do not call before 5 oclock. I called at 5:00:01 and the guy said, someone just left who gave me a deposit, with a signed sales agreement.
    He who hesitates is lost. Take Dave's advice.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

So, Louie...did you get it home or not?? Inquiring minds and all that stuff, you know. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Good deal.

Wouldn't it be a kick in the nuts if you preferred the Craftsman after all this? (after dragging it down to your basement or whatever)

Be ready to put in some time & effort, and I think you may just have your holy grail saw.

I for one, am happy with my humble Ridgid TS2400, and if I stumbled upon a PM66, I'd post about it here for my homies. (no room or power for such a beast in my present shop)

Got her home

Jim,

Thanks for the offer of assistance. I did get it home, out of the truck and set up in my shop/ garage... boy is that thing heavy... I ended up having to recruit a few other kids in the neighborhood to help. I certainly did not have to go to those links with the Craftsman!!! Looks like repainting will be a challenge, with the weight and all, but it looks like it will certainly be worth it.

That's great! Be sure to keep us informed with the progress. Pictures are a must! Jim.

Will do

Pics will be forth coming

Louie

You can do a great job rehabbing that PM.

It can't be any worse than my older 1940 Unisaw.

See the Alpha & the Omega.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

12. I just read on another ww'ing forum that the last USA made Powermatic 66 just rolled off the assembly line last week.

Sounds like you've got yourself a "collectors" item there as well! Just not as easy to trade these as it is handplanes

Yes

Don't stop to think about this. go immediately and get it. If it is under 10 feet of water, I would still get it!
    Last edited by Eric Commarato; 03-10-2008 at 9:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    I just read on another ww'ing forum that the last USA made Powermatic 66 just rolled off the assembly line last week.
    That is so sad. They should have kept in production and just raised the price. Go into production elsewhere, if need be, but at least try to provide the option of a USA made machine.

I think some people would appreciate it. Not everyone is pinching their pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    I just read on another ww'ing forum that the last USA made Powermatic 66 just rolled off the assembly line last week.

Sounds like you've got yourself a "collectors" item there as well! Just not as easy to trade these as it is handplanes
    I heard that this is just a rumor and that the 66 is still in production.