Thread: Changed my mind (new tool gloat)

Changed my mind (new tool gloat)

After much deliberation and admitting to myself that its what I really wanted in the first place, I returned my Dowelmax Monday morning and placed an order with Uncle Bob.

The Dowelmax was a good tool, extremely well made, and the test joints I assembled seemed plenty strong. I had a variety of reasons for changing my mind, but compared to the Domino it was a messier operation and I felt the Domino would be quicker and easier to use if I ever want to do some of the more unusual angled joints etc. I also felt that I would be limited from using the Dowelmax on some smaller pieces if I ever wanted to build a mission piece. I emailed Dowelmax on Saturday morning asking about the return process and no questions asked they gave me the information I needed so kudos to them for being gracious. Maybe they are in shock because it sounds like I'm the first person to ever return a Dowelmax based on the great, and well-deserved reviews it gets.

This was my first order from Bob Marino. My other Festool equipment was purchased locally, but Bob has answered questions for me more than once before and I thought it was time to give him some business too. Buying from him was even easier than locally, and shipping from NJ to MI is lightning quick--the brown truck brought these yesterday. Other than opening everything up and fondling it, I haven't had time to try it out. Hopefully tonight as I have an additional project for my parent's bathroom that will be a perfect application to try it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice!

I've played around with my a bit, and the only advice I'd give you is to make sure you have a secure grip on it. First time I fired it up, I guess I was assuming it was like a biscuit jointer or something--the action of the cutting head on the domino induces a bit more exciting dynamics.

Bob Marino

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    After much deliberation and admitting to myself that its what I really wanted in the first place, I returned my Dowelmax Monday morning and placed an order with Uncle Bob.

The Dowelmax was a good tool, extremely well made, and the test joints I assembled seemed plenty strong. I had a variety of reasons for changing my mind, but compared to the Domino it was a messier operation and I felt the Domino would be quicker and easier to use if I ever want to do some of the more unusual angled joints etc. I also felt that I would be limited from using the Dowelmax on some smaller pieces if I ever wanted to build a mission piece. I emailed Dowelmax on Saturday morning asking about the return process and no questions asked they gave me the information I needed so kudos to them for being gracious. Maybe they are in shock because it sounds like I'm the first person to ever return a Dowelmax based on the great, and well-deserved reviews it gets.

This was my first order from Bob Marino. My other Festool equipment was purchased locally, but Bob has answered questions for me more than once before and I thought it was time to give him some business too. Buying from him was even easier than locally, and shipping from NJ to MI is lightning quick--the brown truck brought these yesterday. Other than opening everything up and fondling it, I haven't had time to try it out. Hopefully tonight as I have an additional project for my parent's bathroom that will be a perfect application to try it out.

I used to sometimes pick up my festool sundries locally but now I just order from Bob the service is GREAT and his ground shipping is really faster than minimaxes 2 day air. I'm always amazed at how fast I get my orders. One came yesterday ( bags and pads and such)

Talking

Matt,

Congrats on the new tool! I followed your last thread on DM vs. Domino closely and I felt as though you were talking yourself into the DM.

My wife had a DM at work and brought it home last weekend for me to mess with. Seemed very nice, but appeared to be some more work to setup and layout the dowels when compared to resting the index pin on the edge of the board and plunging. Also - dust collection - that is a HUGE plus with all of the Festools.

Perhaps a Domino is in my future - get a good review written up for us so I have some fuel for the fire!

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Matt

Congrads on the new purchase, let us know how the test drive goes.

Very nice, Matt! I suspect you're going to like that tool a whole lot. And yes, Uncle Bob is "da man"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    Matt,

Also - dust collection - that is a HUGE plus with all of the Festools.

Rob
    I'm not sure there is another power tool made with better DC than the Domino. Can any of you who have one think of anything else that compares?

I had a Porter Cable biscuit joiner before Domino and...

it had just as good dust collection as the Domino when hooked up to the vacuum. Similarly, I had Bosch 1250 sander before Rotex, it too had just as good dust collection as the Festool equivalent...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann View Post
    I'm not sure there is another power tool made with better DC than the Domino. Can any of you who have one think of anything else that compares?

Frank, my Freud JS102 joiner also has excellent chip collection and the Festool hose slips right on. The noise is a killer and it's not behaved exactly as a "precision tool" for me, but then again, I rarely use it. But for the sanders, nothing I've ever used has had dust collection even remotely comparable to the Festool sanders I now own. And that center hole is also what helps the abrasives last a lot longer...stuff no longer cakes in the middle of the disk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...