Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table saw molder heads- any recommendations?

Like Steve and Peter, have a once used adjustable carbide tipped dado, and never used molder head with a couple assorted three-blade sets. Never, never, never again. Don't know why I still have them; no sons but would not want only SIL to use and get hurt [and my daughters...saw is a verb, not a tool ]. Extra TS leaf came today, and have the Promax table and router lift, and the PC 7518; need only some decent Baltic, plans and knowhow [] to make the dream cabinet. Shamefully jealous here of those with woodworking skills.

I'll add to the promotion of the Magic Molder. Its a top notch, well made, well performing unit.

My dad had one of the Sears ones for his old Sear TS. In 1970 we used it to build the rail and style material for doors. Scared the crap out of me every time it fired up. Sounded like an airplane in the garage. Having said that, I saw the Magic Moulder at a show and it looked pretty good. I have a 1HP feeder mounted to my shaper. If it didn't weight 132 lbs, I might be tempted to get the Magic moulder and use the feeder with it. I think it would be pretty safe that way...joe

I have a Magic Moulding head for my table saw and I LOVE it . I bought it mainly to do the moulding in our house using MDF.

I have made 6" high baseboard molding which I cut from a 3/4 inch sheet and run through the molder once.

The window/door trim is a 4 inch wide piece that I run through the molder 4 different times to get the profile I want. NEVER ONCE have I felt any aprehension about using this. The only precaution I take (other than normal common sense) is to plan the cuts in the appropriate sequence.

I use an insert specially cut for the molding head.

The only drawback I see to this molder is the fact that the different profiles are rather pricey. But there are almost 100 different profiles available.

BTW, the window molding is cut from a sheet of 1 in MDF. The only danger of injury is lifting the sheet to cut the 4 inch blanks.lol.

Incidently, I did own a Craftsman RAS with the molding head with one insert. Now THAT was dangerous.

Fred Mc.

I don't think I can post a link but I did import the VHS tape and put the video on my website if you wanted to see it in action. The video is old saying there are 70 profiles but there are much more now.

The inserts for the Magic Moulder for the table saw also work in the head for a shaper. I haven't used one on a shaper, but I'd be willing to bet it works just as well, if not better.