Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kapex is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Time will tell. For $1300, some of those features look a bit gimmicky--lots of little plastic buttons and levers to break on the jobsite or in the work truck. The on-board miter gauge looks pretty nice. I can tell already though that I would never buy one for the handle alone. I can't stand vertical handles, they don't feel right to me (I don't think they're ergonomically correct, to tell the truth). My DW708 has a horizontal handle, and I use it left-handed just fine from time to time.

BTW--I don't think the DW708 is available anymore, the DW718 has taken its place, but is still about half the price if you shop around.

Also, a SCMS does NOT replace a radial arm saw, as you can't maneuver the blade parallel to the fence or table on a SCMS like you can with an RAS.
    http://www.garymkatz.com/ToolReviews/Kapex.htm

Gary appears to agree with you in regards to the handle design. Too bad they didn't make it adjustable somewhat.

Still, drool-drool on this thing but I won't give up my 12" capacity with my DeWalt (705 I think it is). A 12" Kapex, and I would have to seriously think hard....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The payback part I do not get. I buy my Hitachi, someone else buys a Festool. Both are accurate enough for use to keep it a length of time for it to pay us back. How is the Festool better? If anything it takes longer for it to pay back. I can understand buying tools because you like them or their features or they have the quality you want. Think that festool will outlast any other decent brand? Maybe I should not ask these questions.

Mike,

In a nutshell, yes: longevity. I've gone through countless cordless drills but my two F ones have taken many lickings and they keep going. Frankly, I'm amazed.

As far as the Kapex goes, we do not know too much about it yet but F has a very good track record thus far. Please do not comment on accuracy of the Kapex when you do not know what it is yet.

Payback usually comes from less downtime, less setup time and other efficiency improvements. Let's say that the features of product X over product Y allow the user to save 15 minutes of time every day. That would be around $5 saved every day..so the tool could save 1000 bucks a year for that worker. Anything that allows you to work faster with the same level of quality will typically be worth a premium.
    Does the kopex fit that category?.. maybe. I don't know.

There was a reason I said "payback" is highly subjective. We will all define it differently and that is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk View Post
    You may be interested in this angle finder, I'm guessing but it will most likely less than Festool.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...16&cat=1,43513

gREG
    Looking at Festool's German website they list the part number of the angle gauge as SM-KS 120. I found it at an English tool site for ~50 pounds. Give or take some on shipping and your looking at over $120 for the gauge!

There is a Swedish copy that makes an almost identical unit called Nobex. This site has it for $35.

You could probably make it if you where handy enough and had the tools to work metal.

Bought my cast iron 8 1/4 Craftsman SCMS 18 years ago for under $400. Hope it paid for itself.

Gary

For those folks that think the Kapex is highly priced because of the relationship between the Euro and the dollar, be aware that the Kapex sells for almost twice the USA price in European and other markets outside of the USA. Those folks think that we here in the USA are lucky to be able to get tools so inexpensively, not just Festool but many of the well known brands.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 03-06-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I'm glad to see that I'm not only one that thinks the price point on Festool tools is grossly skewed.

Don't get me wrong the tools do neat things and appear well thought out but I think if you can buy a biscuit joiner for 300 bucks then the domino shouldn't be much more than 500. Granted the domino is more sophisticated mechanically than a biscuit joiner but still 700+???

Now they introduce a cool looking mitre saw but c'mon 1500 what are they thinking???

I supposed if they keep selling these tools they'll keep offering them at the bargin prices. Aren't we in a recession.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest...it's been a burden.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

Fondled the Kapex today

I fondled the Kapex today and the new MFT3. The upfront adjustment of the Kapex was really nice. The saw was extremely smooth. I like the small footprint and the weight of the saw. As a hobbyist - probably out of my price range - but it sure was nice.

New MFT3 was nice - I had talked myself out of wanting/needing one since I have a fairly new MFT1080. I was contemplating another 1080 - thinking that the MFT3 wasn't that much better - the height and weight alone do make it a nicer setup and was quite sturdy. The angle unit was very nice as well.

$0.02

Don't see either in the near future - must keep saving my $0.02!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Mike,

Please do not comment on accuracy of the Kapex when you do not know what it is yet.

I commented on the fact that my CMS is accurate enough for me and the festool (I hope) would be accurate enough for the person that buys it. Your right though, I do not know if it will be accurate - I imagine they have that figured out though for $1300.

I don't personally begrudge Festool for what they charge for their tools. They are of high quality, well engineered, and built with the professional in mind. And from what I have used of their tools in the long run they are of good value. I use to think that they were overpriced until I got a chance to examine and use their products. I ended up with one of their sanders and dust extractors and if something happened to them today I would purchase then again in a heart beat.

Will I purchase a Kapex? Probably not, I personally really don't have the use or need for one. But if I was a trim carpenter needing to cut crown and base moldings all day I might seriously consider one. However at some point I will buy other Festool items. How I do things I can see me needing A More efficient way to process sheet goods, other sanding chores, or even joinery.

When I use to have to use wrenches all day long people would look at me cross eyed when I would spend $400 on a set of SnapOn Flank Drive combination wrenches when you could go to sears and get a set for $60. Like I would tell them when you use them 8 hours a day their is a big difference.

I am sure there will be several in our little Sawmill Creek community that will end up with the Kapex. I think it is great they will have purchased something they feel they needed or wanted and they saw enough value in product that they could justify the cost. Ultimately the purchaser is the only one that needs to be happy.

Good Luck

Alan

I don't own any Festool tools -- yet.

At some point I might take the plunge (so to speak) on one or more of their tools and a super duper vac.

Whether or not I do end up getting any of their stuff, I hope that perhaps their innovations will lead to future improvements in the more brands of tools. The more options woodworkers have, the better IMO.

Have one, love it

I bought one a few months ago (a friend in Germany shipped it to me) and have had it running off of a transformer. Although I haven't used it very much, I'm very pleased with it so far.

Please let me know if you have a question that I might be able to answer about it.

[I'm at home, Kapex in the shop... photos to come if you would like to see it]

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pezaris View Post
    I bought one a few months ago (a friend in Germany shipped it to me) and have had it running off of a transformer. Although I haven't used it very much, I'm very pleased with it so far.

Please let me know if you have a question that I might be able to answer about it.

[I'm at home, Kapex in the shop... photos to come if you would like to see it]
    Cool. First question that comes to my mind is how well does the dust collection work? Do you still get much saw dust sprayed behind the saw?