Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mast-r-lift Inserts

Mast-r-lift Inserts

I am starting to build my router table and pulled out the mast-r-lift that I had bought quite a while ago. I noticed that when you screw down the inserts, they aren't flush with the plate. So I used my calipers to check the discrepency. I measured 0.017" that the insert was inset, this seems like alot to me. If you own a mast-r-lift, how do your inserts fit?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    I am starting to build my router table and pulled out the mast-r-lift that I had bought quite a while ago. I noticed that when you screw down the inserts, they aren't flush with the plate. So I used my calipers to check the discrepency. I measured 0.017" that the insert was inset, this seems like alot to me. If you own a mast-r-lift, how do your inserts fit?

Mike
    17 thousands? That's alot. I would definetly get to the bottom of this.

Gary

Blog Entries
    I had a similar issue with my Mast-r-lift and then realized I wasn't "screwing" them in properly. It took me a couple of tries to get them screwed in properly, but they now sit flush with the table.

If you are still having issues, I would suggest calling the manufacturer - 866-272-7492, explain the issue and they should take care of you.

Good luck.

Tim,

I was twisting the inserts until they were snug, which appears to not be enough. I encounter a lot of resistance to go any further. So, what is the correct way?

Mike

Blog Entries
    Don't have that lift but since it's just as much $$ as a few other top-notch units, I would want it right.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Tim,

I was twisting the inserts until they were snug, which appears to not be enough. I encounter a lot of resistance to go any further. So, what is the correct way?

Mike
    My problem was that I was turning the insert clockwise to snap it in place, but I needed to turn it counter-clockwise to secure it. Once I figured that one out, it sat flush with the router plate.

If you are struggling that much with it, I would guess something was not machined right and I would contact Jessem to get it fixed.

Good luck.

Tim,

I contacted Jessem a couple of days ago and still no answer as to why the inserts are lower than the top of the lift. When you set the inserts in before you turn them are they flush? I checked a bunch of the measurements and it seems that the thickness of the plate is 0.015" less than the depth to the support ring. All the inserts were consistent in thickness. They were also from two different batches, so I am thinking the problem is with the lift.

Mike

I just checked mine and they are flush. Although I am just guessing, it seems to me that the inserts would be the culprit. Maybe their supplier had reduced the thickness of stock without passing the information on etc....

I've been very happy with JessEm products and will be interested to see how they handle your case. Please follow up once you have a solution.

I have the same thing on mine, although I have never measured it. Just figured I had to live with it. But I notice it does catch when I move wood across the top. I even bought a pack of 4 new inserts and they all do the same thing. I'll be interested in seeing the results of this. I'll try and measure it tonight.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

I have to give them a slight twist so the inserts sit flush, but they don't need to be tightened all the way.

Please keep us up to date with what Jessem says.

Any progress on this Mike?

Maybee. Some of my inserts were too thin. They should measure 0.090" and they were less. Even the ones that were the right thickness are too thin. Jessem said they were going to send me some that were thicker, but that was over a month ago and I still have not received them.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Some manufacturers have to be bothered daily to get them to respond. This may be one of those times you need to be a bother until they can give you a ship date or tracking number that proves they have done what they should(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

I realize I need to call and bug them more often, but I have been pretty busy and often forget to call them. This has been going on for more than two months.

Mike

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease!"
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.