Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table top from single wide slab - question

table top from single wide slab - question

Hello Gentlemen,
    I am a hobbiest wood worker and have learned much form your forums and wanted to say thank you. I have a question I was hoping for some feed back on..

I have a very nicely figured slab of 8/4 Bocote 12 inches wide, 60 inches long. I am wanting to make a hall table from the single slab. Do I need to rip it into 2 to 3 inch widths and re-glue to prevent warping..or can I use it the way it is. I've been told different things by differnt people.
    Thanks
    Jim Ballard

Myself, I would not cut it up. I would leave it as a complete slab. There is a lot of thought/discussion on panels with regards to alternating/not alternating grain, cutting a panel up, etc. but there is no one correct answer.

If a piece of wood is not dry, it will try to reach equilibrium with the environment it is brought into. How it actually responds is essentially well-documented but it is not 100% predictable how it will move, how much, etc. If the bocote or whatever wood you have purchased has been kiln dried, and it is to rest in an environment with relatively constant humidty and temperature, it's probably not going to move much if at all. Even if it is air-dried, again if the environment that it goes into is not different than what it has acclimated itself to, there probably won't be much movement.

Finishing it will enhance its appearance and slow down moisture exchange to a degree but it can only do so much, even if it is a slab table made by George Nakashima.

In one of the videos toward the end of the lecture series at the woodworking channel, Sam Maloof talks about how he is making a large table out of one single slab of wood, and how they struggled to figure out how to flatten the slab. Sam mentioned how he didn't want to rip the slab into pieces, because then it wouldn't technically be a single slab anymore. I like that thinking, and tend to agree with it. I'd try to leave it as a whole piece, and go from there.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Your kerf cuts will affect the lines, however thin the kerf is. I'd recommend leaving it intact. The good news is that Bocote is dang hard stable wood once it reaches equilibrium, so chances are you'll have few if any issues over time.

Make sure it's stable currently and you're good to go.

Gorgeous wood!

mike

Invest in a moisture meter and measure its MC over several spots and keep a weekly or every other day recording of it to convince yourself it is stable. If it is still changing, sticker it and forget about it or look into having it kiln dried.

Oh, don't dare rip it unless you find it starting to move on you and then you may have no choice. How long have you had the piece in your possession? Where is it being stored? How is it being stored?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Leave it intact. Sawing it into strips will only produce a multi-board tabletop. Fasten it down as a tabletop so it can move some and finish both sides.

Figure out if it is dry or not

Just that,

Figure our if it is dry or not:

If in doubt, let it sit in your garage for a year or two. Then go back to it. Just dont cut it. whatever you do, dont cut it.

I just saw a big birds-eye maple slab that this guy turned into a table. He got it from a guy who got it from a guy that died and had it in his garage for 30 some-odd years. He said he would sell it to me for 7500.00. i told him no, thanks. but if i were a millionaire...

You dont see the slabs too often. but when you do, it's a lot more desirable.

ciao,

dan
    Last edited by Dan Barr; 03-06-2008 at 5:06 PM.
    Building my own Legos!

Thats a big chunk of bocote. The only way I would ever touch that with a saw blade (other than to cut to final size) would be to book match it by reswing.

The other posts have answered your question. The answer is an obvious maybe or maybe it is "it depends".

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
    Just that,

Figure our if it is dry or not:

If in doubt, let it sit in your garage for a year or two. Then go back to it. Just dont cut it. whatever you do, dont cut it.

I just saw a big birds-eye maple slab that this guy turned into a table. He got it from a guy who got it from a guy that died and had it in his garage for 30 some-odd years. He said he would sell it to me for 7500.00. i told him no, thanks. but if i were a millionaire...

You dont see the slabs too often. but when you do, it's a lot more desirable.

ciao,

dan
    Those kinds of slabs may be worth cutting veneers from, Dan! How wide was the slab?

Assuming the slab is fairly stable I would look at how I mount it to the legs to provide some stability; large sliding dovetails anyone?

It was about 18" x 6-7' long. approx 2" thick.

maybe big enough for veneer. i dont know though.

ciao,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
    It was about 18" x 6-7' long. approx 2" thick.

maybe big enough for veneer. i dont know though.

ciao,

dan
    Oh, man, that SCREAMS veneer...it's a shame to let birdseye rest within the thickness of a piece of wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Assuming the slab is fairly stable I would look at how I mount it to the legs to provide some stability; large sliding dovetails anyone?
    Figure 8's!!! (a la David Marks....)

could you make profit over a 7500 dollar price tag though?

Ciao,

dan
    Building my own Legos!