Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norm's Mitre Bench and Storage

This is the MS bench I just finished. It has a chase in the back for 4" dust pipe and elec. conections. This particular MS is used only for cutting face frame parts, drawer parts, 90 degrees and square cut. The dust collector works great. Here is a pict, of it. If there is any interest I will post some more and a little more detail. Also it's on 4" casters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

This is my version of Norm's miter bench and storage:

Like others, if found that the original fence design took-up too much bench space, so I designed my fence to flip-up and out of the way when not in use.

Clay

Looks Sharp!

Clay,

I like what you did. I haven't purchased the plans, and was going to start on my own. I was thinking of lowering the Mitre saw so the bench would could be used, rather than building something up. Also, I wanted to leave one bay open for my Air Compressor, as I would like to run copper around for use in different parts of my garage. Is this your sole workbench? I am in one bay of a three car garage, and this will probably be my only bench. What are your thoughts?

Dwain,

I did not purchase the plans either, I had taped the two episodes of NYW where Norm built this project, so I went back and watched the tape quite a few times. I don't see why you could not lower the miter saw. I would just build the top in three separate sections and then just screw the miter saw section between the two base cabinet sections. My pancake air compressor is located inside one of the lower drawers. I have an air hose run up to a ceiling mounted hose reel. The back of my base cabinets stand off from the wall 3-1/2 inches so I get plenty of airflow through the back to supply the air compressor and keep it cool; besides, I don't use a lot of compressed air. I mounted 2X4 ledger strips on the wall and pushed the back of the cabinets up against these and then fastened the cabinets in place w/ screws. When I first built this it was my only stationary workbench; I have since built a 24" X 60" woodworking bench (you can see the twin screw vise in the lower L.H. corner of the first picture). Good luck, if you build it I'm sure you will find it to be a great addition to your shop.

Clay

What's anyone used for drawer slides for this system? Is there an economical route for full-extension slides, or does this just end up being the most expensive component?

Dwain

I built the bench that you are referring to. I had a recessed window in the middle of a wall so I was able to set the miter saw back as far as possible in order to get as much counter space as possible. The bench offers tons of storage and working space. If you have ample space, you won't regret it.

I built one a few years ago.... It is pretty straight forward. You may want to consider getting a metal stop system (like Kreg) for the mitre saw. I retrofitted mine this year and it works great.

It is pretty easy to modify the plans to fit your drawer needs.

Reed, I like your miter saw set up. That is closer to the size I need. Would be interested in more info and pictures. Thanks.
    Lori K