Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Notes Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I also like Workbench
    I too like shopnotes, but Workbench didn't make the last renewal cut, the last issue didn't even make it to the magazine stack, went straight to 'recycle'. And i don't recycle magazines (just ask my wife)
    Seems it's become a generic homeowner product. I used to like it, have past issues in the "stack", but no more.

Shop Notes is all about the shop itself, so it is great IF you are looking for ways to improve your shop and techniques. It includes tool tests, jigs, fixtures, shop furniture, shop built tools, etc. You won't find any standard WW projects such as beds, tables, and chairs.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I think the value of each of these magazines varies for each individual depending on your experience, the types of things you like to build, and the stage of development your shop has reached. For example, if you have a well established/laid out shop with all the major hand and power tools, then Shop Notes is unlikely to be of interest as your shop is already built. If you primarily like making toys for Christmas presents then I say FWW is not likely your cup of tea. So buy all of them for a month or two and then subscribe to those you like.

Sounds like Shop Notes is perfect for me at the moment. My response card is in the mail

I have a subscription and like it. I've heard though that after a few years they can repeat similar ideas with different twists.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

I like Shop Notes and think the woodworking community is well served with their publication.
    Gary

New Englander for Global Warming
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 03-07-2008 at 5:47 PM.

Yup I like ShopNotes. FineWoodWorking is probably my favorite, a real good magazine.

I also get the Woodcraft magazine and like it too.

Same with WOOD magazine.

I wish they'd all come every week!
    One good turn deserves another

Blog Entries
    Shop Notes was one of my favorites. I am just now letting it run out and only because I have a few years worth and they will keep me busy for awhile. I would recommend it to folks in their first couple years in this hobby without hesitation.

The sister publication Woodsmith I still get and enjoy as well. They have an heirloom project in almost every issue and I'd loke to collect a few more. Even if I started now it would take me too long to do everything I would like to out of the two mags.

P.s. Fine Woodworking Online is a great investment. I got my annual cost out of it in my first few visits.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Arndt View Post
    I too like shopnotes, but Workbench didn't make the last renewal cut, the last issue didn't even make it to the magazine stack, went straight to 'recycle'. And i don't recycle magazines (just ask my wife)
    Seems it's become a generic homeowner product. I used to like it, have past issues in the "stack", but no more.
    I'll chime in on dropping Workbench. I let it go a couple years ago. It just got too hardcore Home-Owner-DIY for what I was looking for.

Now, if you are looking for home improvement stuff, patio furniture, bathroom rebuilds, etc. Workbench is really well put together and the plans are pretty thorough.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

10. I am a subscriber to Shopnotes and like every publication they hit on some good stuff that is of interest to me often enough to justify keeping the subscription...there are some things they do that I'm sure some people like, but which I find a little out of the realm of reasonableness such as making a piece of shop equipment like a drum sander out of baltic birch plywood....heck why don't I just make my next tablesaw out of birch plywood too...hmmmm

Hello,
    I pick up an occasional copy of Shop Notes every now and then.
    Lot's of good jigs for a beginner such as myself.
    $28.00 is a fair price considering you'll probably save that amount - and more - on at least one jig you make rather than buy.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You've got my vote for Shop Notes too, as well as Woodsmith. Really enjoy them, and I don't like paying for adds so it works out well. I tried one issue of Workbench and hated it though. Maybe because I'm an architect, I found it too...I don't know, childish or maybe simplistic is a better word. It also took 3 tries to get them to cancel it after the free preview issue. They just kept sending me payment notices & I kept writing "cancel" on them. To me that was poor customer service on their part.

Shop Notes

I have #1-the date --A1 Mag.
    I take also Wood Mag. --A1
    Wish could take 1 or 2 more but have dropped some which have been mentioned above for the same reasons
    Shop Notes and Wood are worth the money

Ditto........Love it.