Thread: Aluminum Spigot/Tenon Idea

Aluminum Spigot/Tenon Idea

I was searching for woodturning jigs, and I found this interesting article. I can't wait to try it.

http://www.gbwg.ca/tips/les_swift/vhshead_faceplate.htm

Hutch

Cool!

I can't imagine how many VCRs I've thrown away over te years, Oh well.
    neat Idea, thanks for sharing.
    Bob

VHS Head Faceplates

Matt, I dismantled an old VHS player and used the heads to make two small faceplates. I turned an expansion dovetail in one of them and a contraction tenon on the other, so I can chuck them up in my SN2 using the 50mm jaws. They both work great for small chunks of wood. I wouldn't use them on a 16" chunk, but up to 12" diameter I think they're great little faceplates!
    Cheap faceplates, too, if you can pick up an old VHS player at a thrift store for a couple of bucks!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Neato

Ok then. It sounded so simple and effective, and now with a corroborating testimonial, I will keep my eyes open for old VCRs.

By the way, did you just use your regular turning tools to create the dovetails? Thanks.

Hutch

Matt, I used one of my Oland tools, with a HSS 3/16" cutter with 10% carbon (UseEnco.com). Not knowing anything about turning metal, I just read some posts of John Lucas' where he was testing the Doug Thompson tools. (He turned some brass.) So, I shaped the cutter to a shape that were on a couple my Dad's cutters (that I now have) that he used in the Ship Yards of San Pedro during WWII. It's a point in the center of the cutter's end, but the point is rounded to about a 1/32" radius... It worked really well. Just turn the speed down to about 50-100 rpm if possible. It'll still cut at faster speeds, but the faster speeds have a tendency to cause it to chatter a little... still useable. Go for it. Don't attempt heavy cuts... just light cuts, take it easy, and you'll be surprised how much metal you can turn on a wood lathe.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.