Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Im mad... really mad, any input?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gifford View Post
    Well getting by the wife on the purchase of a SawStop isnt a problem. She lets me spend what I want, since I am responsible for working the overtime that pays for it. She figures if I really want to work overtime to pay for my hobby go right ahead. And I surely do! heh heh

What is also bad about this deal is I used a Jet $100 rebate card, and the saw is at a really good price. So I felt price wise I was getting a great saw at a good price. 10% off at WoodCraft on top of that for everything, saw, stand, accessories.

I really dont think I was spending too much with the discounts and rebates I was receiving. Oh plus some free clamps to boot.

It would be easy to pay an extra $200 and get the 5HP version. Just not convinced I need 5HP, but I am sure there isnt such a thing as too much tablesaw.

But I am like so many here, I am not wanting to reward Jet buy spending more on this messup.

There is a saying dont cut your nose off to spite your face. So I will still do business with them if that is my best interest I guess.

Changing my shopping direction loses the discounts and rebates I was getting, so I now have to figure that in on my overall cost.

On the SawStop... isnt there anyplace at all that sells them under the retail price at all? I actually might go that way if the pricing gets a bit more on the reasonable side. I know the safety factor is a great thing, but it still cost money and I am still a family man trying to make ends meet. Oh the irony! Stuck between responsibility and desire.

Maybe I should take a poll. Ask folks if you could spend $2500 total on a saw and mobile base what would you go with. I bet the answers would be vast and wide.

Im not a tool snob. The only two tools of the same name in my shop is the Jet mini lathe and Jet 18" bandsaw. Nothing else matches.

I just want a saw thats going to be my last purchase and I enjoy using. Is that too much to ask? ha

My weekend will be full of searching online. I am shopping baby!
    If you are mad at Jet and don't want to send money their way. You are aware Powermatic is the same company as JET?

Yes I am. Im not really mad at Jet, or even WoodCraft. Just mad in general.

I think Jet has gotten overwhelmed with orders for this saw. It is what it is. I think the store could have done a better job keeping tabs on my order (it was the only one hanging in the office highlighted yellow for "I wonder where this guys saw is at?") but no follow up.

I think Jet could do some better communicating with backorders. How long has it been on such a long backorder? The original ship date was around Feb 27th. Probably knew a week before that there was no chance in shipment.

I am still weighing my options. I want to keep my discounts if possible so I will probably go talk to the manager and see what we can do.

I like the folks at my local WoodCraft, good people and always a help. I am not throwing out the option of just getting the 5HP model if we can come to an agreement, and part of that agreement is the saw will arrive fast. None of this 4 months stuff.

We'll see.
    One good turn deserves another

I'm going to give a slightly different point of consideration.

If you want the saw right now and can handle the additional cost of the 5hp upgrade. Do it.

If you can't but you can find another similar product in stock for sale at an equal quality level for a similar price and you need the tool right now. Do it.

This is the reality of our global economyand global manufacturing world. Companies are in the business of making money. You can check around and there are probably more expensive saws of equal or better quality in stock ready for delivery. All companies that sell products made in foriegn factories try to forecast what their needs are for a given period of time. Air Freight is extremely expensive. Shipping by sea going vessels is cheaper but takes more time. Production in foreign or domestic factories is based on a schedule. So if a a company like Jet or Grizzley or any other manufacturer...if SawStop....decides to have a sale and the number sold exceeds the current on hand supply there will be a delay in delivery. This delay could be due to the factory having to tool up to produce that particular product.....they have to wait to finish their current production run on a different product before they can setup to produce the product you and others want to buy on sale. Then there is the shipping. The odds are there are no ships waiting at the nearest port to the manufacturing plant just in case that plant has a product to bring to a given port in this country. It is also likely that the ship that does bring that tool to this country has other products and deliveries to make enroute to this country.

Another consideration is that companies pay taxes on products sitting in stock....ie not sold....inventory.....It is not to their advantage or their customers advantage to have a large number of unsold products sitting in inventory because they will have to pay taxes on them as inventory.

You beat your chest and say "this is poor customer service"......Not really...It's bad that they don't have them in stock......It's poor customer service if you order one and they don't get back to you in a reasonable amount of time to inform you of the delay. That's poor customer service.

The alternative is to pay bigger bucks for a domestically made product that will do the same thing.

Most of us can't afford the Northfields....etc. That's also why companies like Delta, etc...have moved their operations overseas....cheaper manufacturing costs allows the company to expand their customer base. Personally, everytime I buy a new piece of equipment for my shop, I have to make a decision. Can I afford a domestic product or can I wait until I can afford a domestic product. Or can I buy an equal quality foreign made product at a lower price and have the tool right now?

Just recently I had Oneida design my DC system. Their recommendation was that their 2 hp Super Dust Gorrilla would satisfy my needs. 2 days later I got a call. There were no 2 hp Baldor motors in their stock and Baldor was going to take several weeks to deliver them to Oneida. Would I be willing to wait or would I consider upgrading to a 2.5 hp. I agreed to upgrade. When the system arrived it was a 3 hp with a little note explaining that by the time they got ready to ship my 2.5 hp there were no 2.5 hp Baldor motors in stock so they upgraded my system to 3 hp Baldor motor at no additional cost to me. Baldor motors are made here in the US in Arkansas. I'm glad to hear that Baldor is so busy they can't keep up with Oneida's needs. That means some jobs are safe for a while.

Companies not being able to deliver a product within a given time....well...that's a business reality..
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-08-2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

BTW Rick.....I really do sympathize with you predicament. I hope a reasonable solution comes your way!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-08-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: correcting "fat fingering " mistakes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

why not buy a Delta Unisaw from Woodcraft? I think they still have them there. I bought mine a few years ago from Woodcraft and am extremely happy with it.

I would start haggling. Woodcrafts are franchises. He wants your order. Tell him you will wait for an additional 15-20% (whatever you can get.) Have the owner call woodcraft to see what THEY will do also. The owner has some profit room but Woodcraft can also give him a deal.
    Next option call Your jet rep. Tell him they are about to loose your business see what he will do.
    If you can wait get something out of them. If you cant. Settle for second choice

I spoke with My "local" woodcraft owner this morning. He told me that his rep had promised early April shipment. He seemed kinda surprised of the May delivery date. He is going to confirm on Monday. He is a great guy and i know it is not his fault. Besides, i cant bring it home now anyhow, we got about 8" of the white stuff yesterday and this morning, and they say more is on the way...April works ok, I still have to figure out how to get it into the basement. Any local guys who want some beer in exchange for muscles?

Now see, Scott's got it right.

Turn the situation to your advantage. Use this advantage to try to negotiate a better deal. All the cards are in your hand at this point. If you can use the situation to get a better price through waiting, or to get an upgrade to the 5hp for small or zero dollars, why not do it? If neither the store or Jet want to budge on the deal, cancel and move on. Use whatever leverage you have to try to sweeten the deal in your favor. That's the American way!

Quote Originally Posted by dale rex View Post
    why not buy a Delta Unisaw from Woodcraft? I think they still have them there. I bought mine a few years ago from Woodcraft and am extremely happy with it.
    I just read this whole thread and your post is about the first one that mentions Delta. I don't think that is a coincidence. I just think it is a sad thing when such a venerable old tool manufacturer falls so far behind in quality/value/technology that they aren't even on most people's list. Generally speaking, Delta isn't on my list either. The Woodcraft store closest to me had almost no Delta equipment on display. I just hope they can get their act together and recover some of their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gifford View Post
    Maybe God is telling me I should buy the SawStop. Do you think this is holy intervention?
    Without a doubt.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    This is what I would get with your money.Oh........ just send me the money and I'll do the shopping for you

http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-179...4999116&sr=8-1

JEFF

A friend said he was interested in a table saw and wondered if I would look out for a good deal. I did a quick search in the usual online sources and found there are vast numbers of used table saws for sale. It should be no problem to buy a good name brand cabinet saw for half the price of a new one. And often the old ones are better quality. I wouldn't even look at new saws. However if I wanted a new saw I'd find a real toolstore with saws on the showroom floor and go get one - I won't buy a major tool without putting my hands on the one I'm getting before I drop the credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by dale rex View Post
    Probably due to the riving knife. That was the main reason for my upgrade to the Jet and I am sure it is the same for many others.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    If you really want the Jet, wait for it, take delivery, then tell the vendor, "Oh I'm sorry - it appears your check will be on backorder for 6 months."

Angry

I really do not know what the fascination is with Woodcraft or Rockler..
    I purchase most of my tools from Amazon..Usually with free shipping
    and no tax...
    I ordered the new 3hp exacta on Jan 15 from Amazon, it was delivered
    on Jan 23...Sorry to hear that you are getting a run-around..

For example, I odered some blades from Amazon and for some reason,
    the order got fouled up...To make it up to me they discounted the blades
    20% and sent them OVN mail..You can bet Woodcraft or Rockler would
    never do that..
    I also had a altercation with Rockler over jointer they
    listed in a flyer with free shipping which was only available at a local
    store which would not include the free shipping.. Got it at Amazon with
    the discount and free shipping..