Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Im mad... really mad, any input?

Plenty of choices

There are plenty of choices out there that are as good or better than the JET. Get a different saw. SawStop is nice. Grizzly or General or Powermatic are also winners.

Tell Jet where they can stick it.

We if I am EVER in the market for a new TS (darn Griz, keeps going and going and going and going....), the two on my list:

(1) SS
    (2) PM2k

The PM2k is lower priced and it has built in mobility AND dust collection with a shroud--like the SS. Dust collection is big with me...which is one reason for my love affair with Festool.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    Please don't try to put words into my mouth. What I am saying is that they have a saw that was more popular than they expected and suddenly everyone on here wants to punish them for having something that was too popular. There are people that wait years on waiting lists for exotic cars. Remember the SS contractor saw, people waited years too and I didn't see near the amount of outrage over that saw that is shown on this thread.
    Eric, I really wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. I just don't think excusing a large company for an error like that is in the best interest in the long run for everyone. I appoligize if I came across harsh (rude). Sean

Grizzly now offers a 3HP cabinet saw with a riving knife as an alternative.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...ng-Knife/G0651
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gifford View Post
    Well I believe I am once again in the market for a new tablesaw.

Looking at Powermatics, not sure the difference in the PM2000 and the Model 66.

!
    The 2000 uses a riving knife/pawl system that curves a little less than half the way over the back of the blade and moves with the blade. Also, the 2000 uses a single wide "flat" belt vs. the multiple V-belts in the 66. The 2000 will be left tilt. The fence and rails are the same on the 2000, 66 and 72. I wrote a review of the 2000 on Amazon after I bought and used it for a while (which is almost 2 years ago now). I compared it to the older Unisaws I had and ultimately sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    Grizzly now offers a 3HP cabinet saw with a riving knife as an alternative.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...ng-Knife/G0651

I saw that one, but I am not totally sold on the new trunnion design on the grizzly models with a RK. The SS, PM and Jet all use traditional designs with the RK attached and I personally feel more comfortable with the time tested designs that the PM, SS, and Jet use. Not sure if the Grizzly will hold up as well with those vertical slides.

7. Cancel the order and get a Felder.
    It'll get here by September 2008.

Blog Entries
    This discussion alone was worth the $6.00 contribution for sheer entertainment value.

All the lurking members need to pony up the $6.00 and join in.

Cancel the order and switch to another brand or source. Thats an unacceptable delay...
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    This discussion alone was worth the $6.00 contribution for sheer entertainment value.

All the lurking members need to pony up the $6.00 and join in.
    Boowah-ha-ha-ha. That one got me ;-)

The backorder deal is a pain. I don't think Jet knew how well the saw would do. Of course there is always the alternative: Orion's little hybrid through Sears used to go on sale for $600 every time you turned around. That was a great price for us garage folks. It got very popular and now its full price or take a hike. $1000 is a lot for that saw. What we need is a reasonable price and availability. 10% off the Jet but wait 5 months??? Ouch. Go elsewhere.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hey I'm not lurking...I'm standing in the rafters shouting! Though I did spend a long time lurking....

Cancel the order. If distributors know they will lose sales they will put more pressure on the manufacturers. Definitely put your foot down and dont take it. Order the saw stop or something else. There are plenty of good saws out there ready to be shipped tomorrow. Woodcraft is an overprice ripoff chain anyway.

Personally, I'd just switch to the 5hp and be done with it. Even if you have to pay the full $200 difference, that's one nice machine. And the popularity that has caused the backorder is actually a noteworthy thing...it tells me that the whole riving knife thing is finally hitting home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWIW: I ordered the 3hp model a few weeks ago. Found out it was on backorder a few days ago. Called Jet and found out they had eight of the 5HP saws on hand (thanks to a tip from Eric!). I called Woodcraft and they switched my order without any hassle. Called Jet back today and they confirmed that my saw is on the truck and headed my way - should be here in a couple of days.

Yeah, I hate that game too.

Here's what is happening. Companies have figured out how much it costs to store saws in a warehouse. So they try to make just enough to meet demand. If they get it right, everyone wins. If not, they end up back-ordered and you lose. It is a crock of crap.

Grizzly did me like that several years ago, with their basic 6" jointer. It went on just exactly like you describe. Finally, I cancelled the order and bought the Jet 6" jointer from Menards. Don't reward that kind of business with your hard-earned money. You bought the saw thinking that they either had it in stock, or would very soon. IMO, a promise has been broken.

I'd probably look for a used Unisaw that folks seem to like so well, or a used PM66. Something that was really, honestly, made in the USA. Something that has been well cared-for. That or one of these rare (to amateurs) industrial brands.

I think the same company that owns Jet owns Powermatic as well, for whatever it is worth.