Thread: Tool drawer liner

Tool drawer liner

Any recommendations for metal tool drawer liners? I had started using the standard black rubber mesh stuff you get from Sears etc. but the tool surface contacting the rubber is showing slight signs of corrosion. Maybe the mesh attracts moisture? Maybe the material is slightly acidic? I have silica desiccant packs in the drawers and other than the contacting surfaces the tools have no problem. Now most of the screw drivers and such . . . no big deal foe me. But my Lie Nielson block plane!!?? Sacrilege!!!

Thanks

Drawer liner

I use some of the shelf liner from the Blue BORG that I picked up in the kitchen and bath area. It is black, open mesh, spongy, type material that works good for drawer liners and for workbench cushioning material while sanding. It comes in a fairly good size roll that can be cut to size very easily with scissors. Very similar to what some places sell router pads for, except cheaper in cost, but performs great IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
    I use some of the shelf liner from the Blue BORG that I picked up in the kitchen and bath area. It is black, open mesh, spongy, type material that works good for drawer liners and for workbench cushioning material while sanding. It comes in a fairly good size roll that can be cut to size very easily with scissors. Very similar to what some places sell router pads for, except cheaper in cost, but performs great IMHO.
    I use the same stuff but I got mine at Wally-World.

Gary

In my mechanic tools roll away I have the over priced 1/2" foam stuff. None of the tools are corroded in there. I get alot of moisture in the summer. My wife has her own 3 drawer tool box and she uses the rug no slip things W-mart and Borg selld. I though it was a great idea. And for the same square footage. It's about 1/10 the cost.

Plane Craddle

Don't know about your drawer linner, but for my planes, I built some Plane Craddles, from some scraps I had laying around and some adheasived backed magnetic sheet.

There's even enough pull to the magnets to hold the plane inverted.

Worked so well with my block plane, I even made one for my bench plane.

I try to cover as much of the bottom as possible with the magnetic sheet, but leave a good sized gap for the Iron's edge to extend into. I think it's a great way to potect your planes, even if they are cheapies like mine. I made the two shown in about an hour, using some 1/4" ply, and pine and oak molding scraps, some glue and a few brads.
    Frank Howell
    AKA: Ice Pirate

"Slow is Fast, Fast is Slow"

'I love the smell of sawdust in the moring, it smells like, victory.'

I'm guessing that the corrosion you found near the liner stuff is because any condensation collects where the steel drawer and rubber liner meet.

Sears and others sell liner stuff purpose-made for tool drawers. it should be OK.

Brownell's sells anti-rust stuff; little squares permeated with some sort of chemical that outgasses and helps prevent corrosion. www.brownells.com

-Tom H.
    Ventura. CA

I just lined mine the other day with carpet tiles. Easy to fit and nice and padded. You can always find extra cases at recycle supply houses.