Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointers - DJ-20 vs. PowermaticParrallelogram

Jointers - DJ-20 vs. PowermaticParrallelogram

I have a small woodworking shop and I find it hard to get a good glue line rip with my TS. Got a good TS and use the best Freud blades, It works well on softer stock but leaves saw marks on hickory, maple, walnut, etc. I want to invest in a 8" Jointer and have it narrowed to Delta DJ-20 or Powermatic PJ882. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post
    I have a small woodworking shop and I find it hard to get a good glue line rip with my TS. Got a good TS and use the best Freud blades, It works well on softer stock but leaves saw marks on hickory, maple, walnut, etc. I want to invest in a 8" Jointer and have it narrowed to Delta DJ-20 or Powermatic PJ882. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated!
    Matt - I'll be watching this thread closely. I am agonizing over the PJ882 myself at the moment. I have looked at both and actually have a DJ20 on loan from a buddy in my workshop at the moment. I can say the following -
    - the beds are longer on the PJ882 - 82" versus 76" on the DJ20
    - the PJ882 is much heavier - hundreds of pounds if I remember correctly
    - The jointer itself is physically bigger and more "substantial" looking.
    - I have seen many good reviews of the DJ-20 but the PJ882 seems to have far less - perhaps due to it's price on the higher end of the scale.
    - The few reviews of PJ882 on amazon seem to bring up a non flatness issues with the tables and beds, but they are only 1 or 2 reviews so can't base decisions on that.

Will watch this thread with interest.

Cheers,
    Lewis

The reviews on the flaws in the bed do scare me a little. I believe I read that they were grinding the castings before they were properly cured. This is the one issue (although a huge issue) that makes me consider the DJ-20. I recently purchased the PM2000 T.S. and absolutely love it and would like to keep flying the yellow and black in my workshop.

Throw in another one

Matt, Look at the Grizzly G0490 too. It looks exactly like the DJ-20 and I think someone somewhere mentioned that it rolls off the same assembly line. Cost a lot less though if you're liooking for a good machine at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Wong View Post
    Matt, Look at the Grizzly G0490 too. It looks exactly like the DJ-20 and I think someone somewhere mentioned that it rolls off the same assembly line. Cost a lot less though if you're liooking for a good machine at a reasonable price.
    ......and dare I say.......above average customer service? I'm dodging lightening now.

The reviews on the flaws in the bed do scare me a little. I believe I read that they were grinding the castings before they were properly cured. This is the one issue (although a huge issue) that makes me consider the DJ-20. I recently purchased the PM2000 T.S. and absolutely love it and would like to keep flying the yellow and black in my workshop.
    I know what you mean. I am ready to buy a jointer, planer, cabinet saw and bandsaw all in one shot when I finally make my mind up. The PM stuff was high on the list - and still is for that matter. I was all set to buy the PM2000, the PJ882 jointer, the 15HH planer and their 14" bandsaw. After considering the bandsaw some more I realize that the 14" is a little small for my needs and that rules out the PM as their next one up is a monster (monster price too I suppose). So, I went off looking at the Grizzly line-up and to be honest the bandsaws they have seem to have a heck of a lot to offer for the price, not to mention a long list of happy customers on the forum here. That led me off to their jointers and planers and so the merry-go-round began. Sad when you have the money sitting in the bank and can't make your mind up for fear of making a decision you will regret later. I'd like to think that these purchases will last me forever so I want to make the right choice.

The 5 year warranty is a big plus for PM, but to be honest I think that if nothing fetches up or goes off the rails within the first year, there's little chance it will in the remaining 4, unless castings start to warp. I did read a thread where one fellow had a bed warp on a Grizzly jointer 6 months out of warranty and they replaced the unit. Their customer service is top notch from what I have been reading.

Please post any addtional findings that you may come across on this thread so other tormented souls like me can take it into consideration.

At the moment I am starting to have thoughts about the G0455 jointer from Grizzly - a 10" beast that weighs oh, about half a ton - . I'm going to toss up a thread on here to see if any others have the unit and what they think of it as it, like the PJ882 seems to be thinly discussed here.

Cheers,
    Lewis

I have a DJ-20 which I bought about 7 years ago. It has been a great machine overall and I think the new ones are still the same for the most part. I haven't had a chance to closely at the new Powermatic to compare and give useful feedback, but it certainly looks impressive.

I have a 12yr old DJ-20 and it continues to be a fine machine. At over 500# it is not as heavy as the PM, but it is hardly what I'd call light weight. I regular flatten boards using the full width of the table and it barely seems to notice. Easy to set up, plenty of power, good fence design. I have never felt restricted by the bed length.

If you can afford either its a hard choice to make, but I doubt you would be sorry either way.

I have had my DJ 20 some 9 years now. Adjusted the beds once and it doesn't vibration on any stock or cut depth. I put a Byrd Shelix, I think it's spelled, cutter head on it about a year ago. Tear out is a faint memory, grain direction rarely matters, and it is much quieter. I am very happy with the DJ 20. I wish I had a 12 inch jointer though.....

dj20 reconditioned

I agonized over the 8" series jointers for about 2 months, looking at PM, grizzly, delta x5 and so forth. I finially settled on a reconditioned delta x5. They don't call it an X5 because it does not have the 5 year warranty. It is the exact same jointer as the 350A model according to Delta. The jointer itself is made in Tiawan and the base is made in China. After I brought mine home from the trucking terminal I was pleasantly surprised. I did not have to make any adjustments to the tables after it was set up. I must confess I was not pleased with delta for a while after they were bought out, but they seem to be doing a lot better. The Reconditioned DJ20s can be bought for around 800-900 dollars plus about 100 dollars shipping. The money saved can be spent on a nice shelix head or something else.

I'm no expert, but I have a Shop Fox 8" jointer which I think is the same machine as the Grizzly G0490. I'm very happy with it. It was straight as a string right out of the crate.

The DJ20 is a great machine, but it was just out of my price range. My jointer is pretty much a DJ20 clone. The only difference I'm aware of is the paint and mine has a bigger motore.

I bought a DJ20 2 years ago -- this is an awesome machine. Flawless since day one, and extremely well made.

In a moment of financial weakness, I bought the PJ882 several years ago. I like high end machines that don't need tinkering. The Powermatic has met and exceeded that expectation. I've set the knives several times with a dial indicator and have never moved the outfeed table. I assume that it is possible to do so. Tables are flat as far as I can tell. Cuts are smooth and snipe free on both ends.

It's a heavy beast. Setting it on waxed hardboard allows it to slide with some effort and protects the base from moisture in the concrete.

The infeed table moves effortlessly, but I rarely change it from a 1/32" setting. The fence is flat and square to the table.

What don't I like? The longer tables really aren't needed for 99% of my work. A 10-12" wide bed would be useful occasionally. And I paid a price to get a machine that didn't need constant tinkering.

All told, it's doubtful that I'll ever upgrade this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    In a moment of financial weakness, I bought the PJ882 several years ago. I like high end machines that don't need tinkering. The Powermatic has met and exceeded that expectation. I've set the knives several times with a dial indicator and have never moved the outfeed table. I assume that it is possible to do so. Tables are flat as far as I can tell. Cuts are smooth and snipe free on both ends.

It's a heavy beast. Setting it on waxed hardboard allows it to slide with some effort and protects the base from moisture in the concrete.

The infeed table moves effortlessly, but I rarely change it from a 1/32" setting. The fence is flat and square to the table.

What don't I like? The longer tables really aren't needed for 99% of my work. A 10-12" wide bed would be useful occasionally. And I paid a price to get a machine that didn't need constant tinkering.

All told, it's doubtful that I'll ever upgrade this machine.

Thanks for your input David. The moment of financial weakness has arrived for me as well. Like Matt, I would like to fly the gold and black colors in my shop, and the tiny number of reviews on Amazon had me spooked a bit but I do realize that often it's the cranky people that post reviews more than the happy people that are out in the workshop making stuff with their new acquistion .

Have you, or anyone on here ever installed a Byrd head in a PJ882? It looks to me like the bolts are upside down and you have to slide a wrench in though a little slot in the front of the machine.....what's up with that? Maybe I am seeing things wrong but looking at the exploded view in the manual sure looks this way.....

Blog Entries
    I recently purchased the PM2000 T.S. and absolutely love it and would like to keep flying the yellow and black in my workshop.
    On a purchase of this size, color coordination would be pretty low on my list . If you are going to stray from the mustard theme, I would check a Grizzly or ask some of the owners here. The Delta just seems over priced to me for a machine that has been in production and relatively unchanged for so long. It is a proven design though and that cannot be short changed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler