Thread: I'm finally playing with one of my new tools....

I'm finally playing with one of my new tools....

Last September, I bought a new lathe PM3520B, a new b/s MM-16 and then in December I ordered a DC Oneida Super Dust Gorilla.

After those turners shoved me into the Vortex it took me nearly 19 months to regain some resemblance of sanity and start finishing my shop. Since September, I've finished the ceilings, installed all the electrical, painted the walls and ceilings and installed the lighting.

Last weekend I finished the major points of installing the DC and started setting up my new b/s.

Thanks to Mark Duginske's book, Sam Blasco of Mini-Max and our own Jim Becker I've started playing with my new b/s. I've never used a bandsaw. With a little mechanical and electrical aptitude, after conversing with Jim, I adjusted the drive belt tension to get rid of the squeel I was experiencing on start up. Now it's just a lion's purr. Using Mark's book as a reference and after a conversation with Sam, I got the 1/2" blade that came with the saw mounted, tracked and tensioned. Then I honed the welds and rounded the corners on the back of the blade. After adjusting the upper and lower guides I fired it. After starting and stopping it a half a dozen times and letting it run for 10 seconds to 2 minutes and then stopping it...opening the upper wheel cover and checking that the blade still was tracking correctly I made my first cuts. I'm in love! What a joy it was to make curved cuts and this is with the stock blades that came with the saw. I used it so if I made a mistake and ruined a blade, I didn't ruin the bi-metal blades I ordered from Olsen. Wow!

Tuesday evening I took a dremel tool, a square and a extremely fine point Sharpie; marked the back side of the blade guard. Using a cut-off wheel on the dremel tool I removed about 3/8" of metal so the thrust bearing could seat against the blade even if I run 1/4" blade at the front side of the flat wheels.

Adjusting the belt tension on this thing was a thing of beauty! I hadn't really paid attention....I went to my shed got my 36" OMG flat blade screw driver that can be used to pry tires off cars....I opened the bottom door, stuck the screwdriver through one of the slots....loosend 3 of the 4 bolts expecting the weight of the motor to lift my 255 lb. rearend off the floor.....NOTHING.....I crawled around to the motor side of the b/s base. DUH! I used the 19 mm supplied wrench and made the adjustment. What a piece of cake.

I'm off to the shop to set my rip fence for drift and try resawing some small stock.

Thanks Jim, Sam and Mark! Even a rookie can do it!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-08-2008 at 8:25 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Isn't life grand?

Gary

Ken

Time desiding what tools to purchase. Weeks...

Money spent on our hobby. Lots.....

Playing with our new tools. Priceless !!!!

Happy Bandsawing !

I wondered when you were going to fire that one up!! Of course, I've had my E16 for what, almost 3 years now, and have only used it once to make something, and that wasn't even wood!!
    Glad to hear it is everything everyone says it is, and what I dream it would be. Maybe one of these days I'll make the trade. Congrats again!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I love my bandsaws as well. They are "fun" tools. I think they compare to the lathe for creativity. Now, buy Tom Crabbs bandsaw box book and the Ultimate Bandsaw Box Book by Donna Menkie and youll be all set.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Wood-Bo...19AQQP0FY32YVR

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Band-...5023652&sr=1-2

Dont pay what Amazon shows for Toms book, get it on that big auction site

Ken you keep playing with your new toy.........er tools you we may end up bringing you back to the flat side.

Congratulations on your new tools, have fun but above all else be safe.
    David

The LOML made me stop playing long enough to file our taxes. Done!

I did go out and rip some 1/4" pieces after setting the fence for the drift. I'm surprized how well this stock blade that came with the saw cuts. Not the cleanest cut but cuts easily.

In a little while I think I'll get brave and try some narrower cuts.

Maybe I'll get the LOML to take some photos so I can prove it's real.
    Ken

Ken, you're welcome to file my taxes, too, as long as you also write the big check to Uncle Sam...

Seriously, 'glad you got 'er fired up and cutting! Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    Ken you keep playing with your new toy.........er tools you we may end up bringing you back to the flat side.

Congratulations on your new tools, have fun but above all else be safe.
    David.....I'll just hopefully be a little more balanced. But I have to admit, it's sure gonna be nice to not have to start turning a bowl blank that's an Octagon. My teeth sometimes chattered for hours after I quit turning....
    Ken

Here's evidence of me ripping 1/8" strips from a piece of 2x6 scraps. It was like cutting butter.

bswb1 (2).JPG

I guess you could say these are my first flatwork Bonkers. Hey Glenn we have a new product line. You folks should really consider buying some stock in "Bonkers-R-Us"!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-08-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Ken