Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Weekend's project - Sawbenches

Last Weekend's project - Sawbenches

I've been complaining about my spindly, rickety sawhorses for a while now and decided it was time to make something a little "sturdier". I was inspired by a recent post on Lost Art Press to pull the trigger and build something. I took Chris' design and added another smaller version (stackable) as I often need the double support when ripping longer stock.

These little fellers will make a much needed addition to my shop!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

What did you use for wood on those Louis, looks good.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Ah, there's another project also I need to do. They look great, Louis!

I've built many many sawhorses over the days, but these dedicated saw benches really look to be the way to go... Make sure you tell us what you think of them after you've used them a while!

Leif

Thanks gentlemen...

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post
    What did you use for wood on those Louis, looks good.
    Southern yellow pine my good man. I had some leftover bits from a "Petit Roubo" project I'm building for my son. It will essentially be a scaled-down, fully-functional version of the Roubo. I'll post it up when it's done.

...and Leif, I'll give you a full "user" report as I'll be building my son's bed in the next few weeks. Should have lots of opportunities to use the benches.
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 03-08-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    Louis Bois

Looksvery nice. I have the pdf downloaded and ready to go, as soon as I find a roundtoit. I have some reclaimed 100+ year old SYP that will be perfect for this.

Mark

Hey Mark they started selling "roundtoit's" at Woodcraft just this weekend

Louis those look like nice additions to your shop.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Bois View Post
    Thanks gentlemen...

Southern yellow pine my good man. I had some leftover bits from a "Petit Roubo" project I'm building for my son. It will essentially be a scaled-down, fully-functional version of the Roubo. I'll post it up when it's done.

...and Leif, I'll give you a full "user" report as I'll be building my son's bed in the next few weeks. Should have lots of opportunities to use the benches.
    Okay where did you get southern yellow pine just curious you know?
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

I see SYP at my local borg outlet, though I think most of it is pressure treated (at least here).

I'm thinking of building a roubo/english franken-bench (maybe) by summer, so have been searching for SYP.

Non pressure treated SYP is available at the HD or Lowe's here in Nashville, but only in 8-12" widths.

Is this the sawing class version? Ripping 2x12s to size by hand would give me pause.

I have never seen SYP in the nieghbourhood which is why I am curious as to where Louis got it. The 2X10 and 2X12 here is mostly white or black spruce, and some western red cedar, okay for the structural part of the a bench but not for the business end so to speak.

N. W. Kay

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post
    Okay where did you get southern yellow pine just curious you know?
    2 words: Exotic Woods.

You can't find SYP in the Borgs ANYWHERE in Canada that I'm aware of.

I wouldn't seek it out with the intent of building these sawbenches, but I was picking up an order of QS white oak...and they happened to have some SYP in stock. It wasn't the cheapest SYP in the world (about $4-ish a board/ft, but I decided to pick some up as I wanted some dense material to build my son's Petit Roubo top and I was curious about using it. I picked up an extra board to build the sawbenches.

Thanks Jim and Mark...and good luck with yours Mark.

...and yes David, it's the 2008 version...only mine uses thicker 1 5/8" stock as opposed to 1 1/4".
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 03-10-2008 at 1:18 PM.
    Louis Bois

SYP is pretty hard top find in the northern and western states....thus the name. Chris Schwarz has mentioned this is his bench writings. I have had good luck with poplar for benches. It is not prohibitively expensive and combined with a laminated maple top, has nice weight for a bench. The green tones turn brown in a couple of years, even indoors. What do you guys think of poplar?

Yes A & M wood supply in Cambridge lists it but does not always have it. My friendly purveyor of wood has had it but not often so hit and miss. I suppose I could check at a certain sawmill I know of they migh bring some in, and thier prices are reasonable.

I am thinking of going to the KW woodshow this weekend you going too Louis?

N. W. Kay

James, I'll be in Ottawa this weekend...dagnabbit!...otherwise I would've made an effort to go check it out. Please let us know how it is/was!
    Louis Bois