Thread: Carved cottonwood bowl

Carved cottonwood bowl

This cottonwood bowl is 7" x 7". It was turned to about 5/8" and the rim undercut to a thickness of 1/4". I sectioned it off into eight equal slices and cut the separations to a depth of 1/4". This, of course, gives a wall thickness of 3/8" where the slices are separated. Each slice was carved to a concave shape using a variety of palm tools and Typhoon burrs in a Foredom and hand held Dremel rotary tools. The result is that this bowl is a little on the weighty side, just a little more than I like in this case, but I didn't want to take any chance on penetrating the wall when I separated the sections. I only sanded it to 320 grit (all hand sanding, naturally, as the sanding could not be accomplished with the lathe spinning) and finished off with several (can't remember how many) coats of natural Deft danish oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Outstanding Wolf. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to make a bowl like that?

Again, very nice!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Well, first counting the rings (hard to see with the detail) it is at least 25 years for the tree to grow, several years to dry the wood, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Outstanding Wolf. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to make a bowl like that?

Again, very nice!
    Really hard to say, Dick. The turning took a couple of hours but the rest was done a little here and a little there over a period of about a month. You gotta figure, too, in the finishing stage, it only takes 15 minutes or so a day for however many coats of finish you apply. I'm gonna take a stab and guess about 15 actual hours. I arrived by that in calculating 2 hours turning time, one hour carving time for each section (this includes SOME of the sanding), a couple hours applying finish and the remaining three hours strictly in sanding time.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Very nice Wolf

I'm not normally a huge fan of carving turned bowls - but it definately works sometimes (personal preference only of course). With this form I think it is a great accompaniment to the piece. Looks great as usual.

PS: How'd ya do at the show - or did I miss a report on it?
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 03-17-2004 at 6:41 PM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Cool stuff, Wolf. It almost looks like a gourd of some kind: pumpkin or squash or something like that. I likes!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    I'm not normally a huge fan of carving turned bowls - but it definately works sometimes (personal preference only of course). With this form I think it is a great accompaniment to the piece. Looks great as usual.

PS: How'd ya do at the show - or did I miss a report on it?
    It's posted, Tom. Did about what I expected, not too happy with it
    Wolf Kiessling

Real nice, Wolf. I had heard that cottonwood is really poor for turning. I have a chance to pickup a round or 2 of cottonwood so I may just give it a try. Seems that I read somewhere that cottonwood is okay for carving but I have only tried basswood.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith
    Real nice, Wolf. I had heard that cottonwood is really poor for turning. I have a chance to pickup a round or 2 of cottonwood so I may just give it a try. Seems that I read somewhere that cottonwood is okay for carving but I have only tried basswood.

Stan
    It's the only piece I ever turned, Stan, and I thought it turned okay. I don't think it's too great to carve but it's okay if it's free (like most other wood of that type). Keep in mind the TRUE Hopi (maybe also Zuni) kachinas are only carved from cottonwood root.
    Wolf Kiessling

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    It's the only piece I ever turned, Stan, and I thought it turned okay. I don't think it's too great to carve but it's okay if it's free (like most other wood of that type). Keep in mind the TRUE Hopi (maybe also Zuni) kachinas are only carved from cottonwood root.
    Thanks for the Hopi info. I didn't know that. I think that someone told me that cottonwood splits and checks pretty bad, but I'm not sure if they were authorities on the subject.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith