Thread: Bowl #5 White Oak (I think)

Bowl #5 White Oak (I think)

Here is a bowl turned from a very large chunk of what I believe is white oak (some believe it could be sweet gum) I have no idea. A friend of mine delivered a few weeks ago and I posted a picture of it on this forum.

I really enjoyed turning this one. I had to duck twice to avoid injury. It missed both times and it didn't happen a third because I made the foot a little deeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Brooks; 03-09-2008 at 3:16 PM.
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

Nice job keeping all the bark on Tim! Good looking wood - don't think it's Oak though. Looks like it has some real nice curl to it! Your bowls are looking better - keep turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Tim that is a great looking bowl. I don't think it is oak. Keep'em coming.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tim, I have about 5 or 6 small pieces of wood in my reefer that are labeled "Oak". That said... I turned a piece of it yesterday or the day before, and it turned out to be Sweet Gum.
    I turned and sold about 15-20 bowls from a very large Sweet Gum tree last year. I'm the one who labeled the wood in my reefer. That was just a couple of weeks ago, when I was labelling some other real oak. But it doesn't have the rays that are present in oak, and it looks exactly like your bowl. Which, by the way, is a pretty nice bowl. You did a bang-up job keeping the bark intact. And you're also lucky to have dodged the very large bullet... so to speak.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Tim....question for you. Did you have your blank mounted using a tenon or with a recess? I ask because of your comments about the piece taking flight a couple of times. If a tenon, be sure that there is a shoulder for the top of the jaws to rest on. If a recess, make sure it's both deep enough and profiled correctly for your chuck jaws...but frankly, I recommend you do not use a recess for this kind of project. Platters, yes...there is plenty of wood to support the jaw tension...but on bowls and vessels, there is a lot less wood outside of the jaws. A tenon is generally safer. If you feel you need more material to use a tenon without compromising the depth of your turning, glue on a sacrificial waste block, put the combined blank/waste block between centers and turn a round tenon to work with. You can shape your exterior at the same time your preparing your tenon. (Tenon/bottom goes towards the tailstock when you are between centers for this operation)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tim....question for you. Did you have your blank mounted using a tenon or with a recess? I ask because of your comments about the piece taking flight a couple of times. If a tenon, be sure that there is a shoulder for the top of the jaws to rest on. If a recess, make sure it's both deep enough and profiled correctly for your chuck jaws...but frankly, I recommend you do not use a recess for this kind of project. Platters, yes...there is plenty of wood to support the jaw tension...but on bowls and vessels, there is a lot less wood outside of the jaws. A tenon is generally safer. If you feel you need more material to use a tenon without compromising the depth of your turning, glue on a sacrificial waste block, put the combined blank/waste block between centers and turn a round tenon to work with. You can shape your exterior at the same time your preparing your tenon. (Tenon/bottom goes towards the tailstock when you are between centers for this operation)
    Jim,
    Thank you so much for the advice. I did turn this one with a recess. My concern about using a tenon is finishing the bottom. I do not have a way to turn the bowl back around to finish off the bottom. I suppose I could make the tenon long enough to part the bowl away from it when I am finished. I'll have to give that a try next time.
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    A very nice bowl Tim, I have to agree that the wood does not look like Oak to me either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

if it is white oak thats just a cap true white oak burl is really really dark color
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Here are some pictures of the wood before I cut it up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76543

what did it smell like kinda like vinigar?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Looks great. I turned a few sourwood bowls last year, and they looked a great deal like this wood, bark and all. When I cut the burls off I thought they where black gum, but when I went back to the tree with leaves on it I so that it was sourwood.
    Jack