Thread: Pictures WITHIN an article?

Pictures WITHIN an article?

Hi Folks,
    The way I see most people post pictures is that they write text into the space intended for writing text. Then we attach whatever pictures we wish to share. What shows up in the post is the full text first followed by the desired pictures.

Sometimes it would seem to be convenient if the picture and related text could appear together on the same screen. I'm talking about a text/photo article where things like text wrapping and such could be used. I've tried several file extensions for an article such as this (even a "web page" setup). Each time I "paste" the article, the text appears but the pictures are gone. They don't return even when the article is actually posted.

Has anyone tried this approach?
    Thanks,
    Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

In order for pictures to appear "in-line" with your text and even formated as you wish, you need to insert HTML code including IMG links to files stored elsewhere, such as on a personal web site. This is not the recommended method for using pictures at SMC, largely because they will not get archived and links can change (or disappear) over time.

The reason that the pics disappear when you do a simple cut and paste is that the code necessary to display them is not getting copied. You'll probably need to add it manually or use the "Insert Picture" button in your formatting menu on the "Post New" form here at the site.

If you do choose to use links for in-line pictures and want text to flow around them on the left or right, you'll need to add the 'align="right"' or 'align="left"' options in the IMG tag.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Picture Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    In order for pictures to appear "in-line" with your text and even formated as you wish, you need to insert HTML code including IMG links to files stored elsewhere, such as on a personal web site. This is not the recommended method for using pictures at SMC, largely because they will not get archived and links can change (or disappear) over time.

The reason that the pics disappear when you do a simple cut and paste is that the code necessary to display them is not getting copied. You'll probably need to add it manually or use the "Insert Picture" button in your formatting menu on the "Post New" form here at the site.

If you do choose to use links for in-line pictures and want text to flow around them on the left or right, you'll need to add the 'align="right"' or 'align="left"' options in the IMG tag.

Jim,
    Thank you for responding. I have no problem with the existing SMC format. I'll stick with that and thank them for the opportunity to contribute. Besides, all those acronyms don't seem to show up on my abacus!

Thanks again,
    Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Honestly, I'm hoping that future versions of vBulletin will allow for uploadable in-line graphics, but until then I too will mostly use the features as-is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...