Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I do actually do 'woodworking' and not just post here all the time..

I do actually do 'woodworking' and not just post here all the time..

Today I put on some finishing touches on the NYW router table that I built. In truth, it didn't come out to my expectations - the plans are great! - but my execution was lacking. It looks OK in the pictures, but the lack of squareness on the front is rather annoying to me as the drawers all end up looking a little cockeyed. Next time I'll be more attentive and careful to that kind of stuff.

In retrospect, I learned a couple of really important points (for me):
    - USE GOOD PLYWOOD
    - DRY FIT

My lack of both of these led to a disappointing assembly process. I think part of this was working from a plan... I cut everything pretty much dead to nuts on the plan except for a couple of little dimensions. Those, in combination with less than stellar plywood led to a few of the fits being less than perfect. When I don't work from a plan, I tend to cut things to fit as I go and the end result seems to come out better..

Oh well, live and learn! Most importantly, though, the router table's function isn't sacrificed at all and it should work well in cutting the drawer pulls for those 34 drawers in the background of the 2nd picture. That's now this week's project.

-Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uh Chris it still looks like you spend more time cleaning than woodworking

Nice shop allround and nice router table no matter what you think.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Those drawers look familar. I have a very similar unit for my SCMS.

Nice looking table, you are your own worst judge and are correct about getting good stock to start.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

`With that vertical milling machine and lathe...looks like your more equiped for metal working......
    Gary (Hey....I used to have a boss that hated anybody leaving the bridgeport table extended out like that)
    PS. Oh ya.....nice router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    (Hey....I used to have a boss that hated anybody leaving the bridgeport table extended out like that)
    Shame on you for treating that Bridgeport like that. I also found that it's not really good for them in the long term to leave em way out of balance so to speak. Is it bolted down?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Haha! Awesome that 2 of the posts were responses regarding the Bridgeport. Actually, I just moved it there about 2 hrs before the pictures (NO LIE!!!) so that I could roll out my computer cart. I'm rewiring the CNC a little so that I can now take advantage of the VFD drive on the spindle and control the spindle from the PC. Until now, I've still controlled the spindle myself but finally got around to getting a spindle control board that will let me put it into complete CNC mode or full manual mode. Once the garage/shop is fully setup, the table will HAVE to be centered or even pushed slightly the other way to fit my car in the garage.

Its not bolted down, but I've never had a problem with that, no matter how far over the table (or head for that matter) seems to be.

Regards!
    -Chris

Blog Entries
    It looks like a fine job. I'm sure it'll serve you very well for years to come. As far as the plywood goes, even 5x5 Baltic Birch ply is rarely square. It drives me nuts. I've gotten sheets that were close to a 1/4 inch out of square. That's where a good cross cut sled will shine. I think you've done a great job from what I can see.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Chris, I'm with you , I can look at a picture and make pretty much anything. But plans, I don't do well. You router table looks great, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Ken.

Looks real good Chris!!!!! Proud of ya doing all that woodworking. Nice shop as well. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That's a really efficient dust collection system you got there!

YM

Chris, your shop is far too clean for someone who does woodworking.

Seriously, congratulations on the NYW router table. It will serve you well for many years to come for routing and as a reminder of what you learned building it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I call shenanigans on your shop, no shop can be that clean, these photos have obviously been doctored!

Kidding aside, very nice table, and people are correct to say that you are always your worst critic (woodworking brings that out in people).

But if you REALLY dont like it, let me send you my mailing address and i will be more than happy to take it off of your hands.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

13. Chris, how can you use the bridgeport with it that close to the lathe? And as an aside. YA might think about the danger of leaving the table hanging out like that. Over time it will put a bow in the table. I have seen the results in a shop where someone set a table off like that and left it for a time. I don't know how long but, it put a bow in the table.

Hi Cliff,

The Bridgeport actually has complete table travel without any interference with the lathe. At our old house, the tools were on orthogonal walls, so there was a bit more space available, but with the new garage I'm trying a different layout. Worst case, I'll move it to the 3rd bay if it becomes a problem. I'm trying to get everything setup so that the 3rd bay is the 'dedicated' woodworking space.

The table position was merely coincidental with the pictures of the router table as I was just started to do some upgrades to the CNC controls. I never leave it that way.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bruno View Post
    The table position was merely coincidental with the pictures of the router table as I was just started to do some upgrades to the CNC controls. I never leave it that way.

-Chris
    Well, almost never!