Thread: Oh my the shop is all messed up

Oh my the shop is all messed up

But my Belsaw planer has the new out-feed roller & drive chains & belt installed & everything adjusted.

The in-feed roller was real bad & the Belsaw rep said to switch the out-feed roller to the in-feed side & put the new roller on the out-feed side....so I did. I am still going to get a new roller for the in-feed side I don't like the looks of it. It is somewhere between 1/16" & 3/32" smaller in diameter in the middle than on the ends.

The planer used to run with skips & jerks because the in-feed roller was badly worn along with worn drive chains & belt.

I started at 3 pm & finished at 8 pm & was able to take my time & enjoy it.

The planer seems to work ok too.

Dad used to use this 5 hp planer for production. It also has a rip attachment. The planer isn't damaged just well used & hasn't been used much in several years.

You'll need to click on the attachments to see the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Blog Entries
    It's only when the shop looks like that, that you can find what you're looking for. Put it all away and you can't find anything.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Where's the mess, Bart???
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't see any mess. Your shop looks like mine right now.

Oh, I'm glad your planer is working better.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Hey Bart that looks like the same planner I have. Bought it new around 25 years ago. I replaced the bearings last year but it's also in need of the same basic upgrades you just did. Still gets the job done though. What did the parts cost ya? Looks like your running a single drive belt off the motor. Have you considered changing to a link style belt? I may sometime down the road.

Bart,

Now I'm embarrassed, my shop usually looks like that. I have a Woodmaster Planer which is a Great Grandchild of your Belsaw. I'll bet yours is even better made and a lot heavier. Have fun

Joe

Where's the mess, Bart? Looks fine to me. Matter of fact it looks like my shop and........

.......hmmmm........

OK, so your shop's messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Taylor View Post
    Hey Bart that looks like the same planner I have. Bought it new around 25 years ago. I replaced the bearings last year but it's also in need of the same basic upgrades you just did. Still gets the job done though. What did the parts cost ya? Looks like your running a single drive belt off the motor. Have you considered changing to a link style belt? I may sometime down the road.
    Curt

About $105.00 & by purchasing the other feed roller this morning it will cost around $164-$165. I figure $165 for a 5hp planer is pretty cheap. I paid $250 for a used Grizzly portable planer several years ago & that was 50% of original cost new & though I got a good deal then & it still works great.

I am running 2 drive belts on a 5 hp motor this also has room for the 3 belt to run the rip attachment that I have also.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Kinda hard to tell from the angle but that motor looks positively enormous! Nice planer. I like uses my dad's old tools, the only stuff he used was stuff that worked well. Kinda pre-tested everything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Kinda hard to tell from the angle but that motor looks positively enormous! Nice planer. I like uses my dad's old tools, the only stuff he used was stuff that worked well. Kinda pre-tested everything for me.
    Phil

Its a 5 HP this planer has a rip attachment & can be used as a moulder.

I think Dad had up to 5 blades on the shaft running at the same time.

The saw blade system is on the in-feed side coming up through the plywood top.

See the picture from the manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-10-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Curt

About $105.00 & by purchasing the other feed roller this morning it will cost around $164-$165. I figure $165 for a 5hp planer is pretty cheap. I paid $250 for a used Grizzly portable planer several years ago & that was 50% of original cost new & though I got a good deal then & it still works great.

I am running 2 drive belts on a 5 hp motor this also has room for the 3 belt to run the rip attachment that I have also.
    Bart - I'd say it's the same machine I have. Guess my old eyes must have missed the second belt in the pic. Pretty sure those upgrades will have to happen in the near future. I use to run the rip attachment years ago but made a stupid mistake while getting in a hurry to adjust a clamped on fence I was using as a guide. I reached down to loosen the clamp and the rip blade cut across all 4 fingers on my left hand. Luckly it was only enough to draw blood but it did put the fear in me, forsure. Young and dumb at the time. Guess you know that is also a molding head on the machine. Just FYI. Happy planning.