Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm READY to Place my GOLD 3520B order!

Blog Entries

I'm READY to Place my GOLD 3520B order!

OK the time has arrived.

It is time to actually place my order for the Powermatic 3520B Lathe.

I am 99.9% sure I will order from Osolnik Machinery.
    The Tax refund is here and the wife and kids all got brand new Mattresses and a couple new box springs ect. ect. some came home today the rest will be available for me to pickup after Noon tomorrow.

And i'm paying off my Sons Braces.

So the wife is Happy she got to pick out whatever bed she wanted.

And now I get my New GOLD Lathe.

I have been adding and subtracting stuff from my cart for the last few weeks, and now I have the CASH in hand so it is time.

OK ,

Been sitting here subtracting and adding stuff to my cart,
    like some have said this is going to be a major jump in size from the 1442, so thinking it over, I may not use the outboard stand for a long time.

It is only 329.00, not a unrealistic nut to crack at a later date.( I'm gonna call and ask how much shipping would add to that if ordered later.)

And i'd like the second banjo but really could do without it too for now.( be nice to have for making canes or walking sticks) I'm not planning much in the way of long spindle work. Unless I buy some old victorian Oak filled house with lots of needed spindle repairs.

But thats just in my Dreams.

I have it Whittled down too-

1352001-3 Powermatic 3520B Lathe Value Package. Qualifies for Powermatic $100.00 Rebate.

This Package includes #900910 DVD lathe by Nick Cook, 3520B DVD and a "Rude and Daphne Osolnik - A Family Portrait" Catalog of Arrowmont Exhibit.

The 3520B value package 1352002 comes with the following:
    1352001 Powermatic 3520B Lathe
    6294733 Remote Switch
    6294727B 18" Bed Extension with Tool Rest Assembly for 3520B
    6294740 Right Hand Tool Rest (Inside) < Anyone have that? I don't see a picture of it.

6294796 - Powermatic Dust Port Assembly for 3520B Lathe

6294735 - 2" Spindle Extension

Liftgate Services
    ^^^I could have it delivered to a friends Machine Shop he has a fork lift, But it's about a 40 minute drive from me, add my gas and the work loading it on my trailer then getting it off once home and the added $85.00 don't sound too bad.

That brings me down too -

Total
    (excluding tax) $3,155.01

Right at the edge of my budget.

WHEW!

I think that should make for a nice setup even witout the other extra's I wanted to add.

How long does it usually take from order date to actual delivery on one of these?

At one point I had my cart up to - Subtotal $3,810.96

I hope to place my order in this week!

Gotta call them and ToolNut to see who will give me the best DEAL maybe be able to add back in another extra or so.

Anyone else I should try dealing with to get the BEST pricing?
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 03-10-2008 at 5:28 AM. Reason: Icons were linked to other site...
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

3520b

Scott,
    You may want to put that order on hold temporarily. I bought my 3520 from Osolnik, and they are a great supplier. But I assume you are already booked for the Midwest symposium in June. Powermatic is one of the vendors, and they have been known to offer some very good deals on their lathes at the bigger shows. I'm sure those funds are burning away in your pocket, but you might be able to pick up $300-400 worth of additional accessories if you can wait until July. FWIW
    Kurt

Blog Entries
    I heard of it but not booked to go.
    I'm not sure i'd have the willpower to wait until June , been waiting a long time for this as it is.
    There is no gaurantee that they will be offering good deals these days , seems the woodworking shows are seeing less and less vendors and the deals they once gave are getting scarce.

Thanks for the idea, i'll think about it, but it would be hard to wait longer.

Do you have more info about it Kurt?
    Last edited by Scott Hubl; 03-10-2008 at 9:01 AM.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Congrats Scott.!!!!!!! You're going to really love that lathe and the setup you have on order. BTW, Welcome to the Mustard Club.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I called both Osolnik and ToolNut and waiting for them both to call me back with their best price.

Let them Fight HARD to give me a DEAL!

Sitting here waiting for my phone to ring.

Update-
    OK Osolnik called me back just now and Joe said he could go $3120.00 with the liftgate.
    with the $100.00 rebate would bring it too 3,020.00

Waiting on Tool Nut's call back.

Anyone else I should or could add into the price war?
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dennis,
    I may end up placing my order today.

NO it's ~GOLD~
    "The GOLD Standard Since 1921"

WHO ever started to call expensive Machinery by condoment names should be SLAPPED! LOL

Besides, I'm Allergic to mustard.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

3520b

Scott,
    The only additional info I have is thru: www.chicagowoodturners.com and to contact someone in the club. I'm like you though, I probably wouldn't be able to wait that long. There used to be a Powermatic tool dealer in Sycamore, IL that might be able to give you a bid as well, if they're still in business, but I don't remember their name. (I'm from Elgin, originally.) Otherwise, stick with Joe Osolnik, you won't go wrong.
    Kurt

Scott,
    We Mustard Monster owners have the up-most respect for the Powermatic Gold/Yellow/ Mustard color. The product is always a great value. I waited a while for mine, and at the St. Louis WW show, I got $500 off from my dealer. It really pays to go to the shows, when you are close to purchasing a major machine.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Blog Entries
    ToolNut just called and said $2,999.99
    shipped.

Thats -The Hardwood Connection?

I'll try giving them a call too.

Thanks
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Blog Entries
    Hardwood Connection can't touch it when you include about $330.00 in Taxes.

The symposium is over 3 months away!

Osolnik has posted on there Home page that the 100.00 rebate ends April 30
    And states "Sharp Price Increases May 1, 2008"

So would you Gamble that there will even be a good deal at the symposium or not?

With the rebate it brings it to $2899.99.

I'm ready to PULL that Trigger, $500.00 more off would be great but do you really think is a reality with the options i'm getting?
    1352001-3 Powermatic 3520B Lathe Value Package. Qualifies for Powermatic $100.00 Rebate.

This Package includes #900910 DVD lathe by Nick Cook, 3520B DVD and a "Rude and Daphne Osolnik - A Family Portrait" Catalog of Arrowmont Exhibit.

The 3520B value package 1352002 comes with the following:
    1352001 Powermatic 3520B Lathe
    6294733 Remote Switch
    6294727B 18" Bed Extension with Tool Rest Assembly for 3520B
    6294740 Right Hand Tool Rest (Inside) < Anyone have that? I don't see a picture of it.

6294796 - Powermatic Dust Port Assembly for 3520B Lathe

6294735 - 2" Spindle Extension

Liftgate Services

What about that Sharp Price Increase on May 1st?
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

3520b

Scott,
    OK, I say go for it... you might get a better deal at the the show, but it is 3 months away, and you have to pay the entry fee, and you could have 7-10 pieces turned by then, soooooo, do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kurt

A bird in the Hand.....

I haven't ordered anything lately from toolnut, but I've heard reasonably good things about them. If you take into account the extras you want... I think that their price is good. You might be able to do better at the Richmond show, but if you're not going to go, then going there.... price of the symposium, meals, lodging, wouldn't warrant waiting. If you've got the cash.... go for it now. I love my powermatic. It's a great lathe. If you can set it up reasonably soon, it beats waiting for a maybe,,,
    Luck, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

>>I'm ready to PULL that Trigger

(Well, it's not my money, so... ) I say go for it. Also, consider that the price of gas doesn't appear to be getting any cheaper, which means shipping costs (both to America, and to your door) are likely going to get higher in the coming months.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Blog Entries
    Osolnik is already closed, Woodcraft was about $460.00 more so it's either Osolnik or Tool Nut .

I'll be pulling the Trigger in the Morning.
    I would have tonight if Joe had answered the phone and at least matched Tool Nuts price.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Something you might add...

..is a 4 jaw scroll chuck.

I have a Oneway Stronghold Chuck for my 3520. If you don't already have a chuck you will need one with a 1-1/4 X 8 insert.

If you get the outboard stand now you will use it sooner. However if you won't be doing big things you'll never need it.

Clem