Thread: 50 year old Band Saw. Worth the effort?

50 year old Band Saw. Worth the effort?

I am looking at a 50+ year old Delta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw with an external pulley system. It needs a little work, mostly cosmetic, which I would find enjoyable, and has a newer 3/4 HP motor. I like the "old iron" thought but I want to make my choices wisely

I have access to a lot of motors so I can upgrade to a more powerful unit but is that recommended or wise to do?

The cast iron stand is open so I would probably build a mobile cabinet for it and enclose the pulleys and stand to keep the weight, but cover the belt and pulleys for safety.

thanks,

James
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of being. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

2. when I was a boy(I am now 78) my dad had one which he ran of a huge motor
    thru a shaft which allowed him to run a table saw a lathe a bely sander and a circular sander all off the motor simaltaneously with the band saw so I suspect a larger motor would be ok.

Walt

James,

Go for it. I have an old Craftsman table saw that is 70 years old (still has the patent date on the front label plate). It is still going strong and has outlived at least 3 motors. You simply can't beat the old iron, especially if it's a Delta. That's my 2 cents..

That's a top of the line 14" machine. 3/4 HP was on the high end when it shipped so it it's a reasonably rated motor you may not have to even swap it out. It's probably due for bearings and a new belt, which are relatively easy to come by. Look over it carefully to be sure you know whether anything is broken or missing. Most parts are available, but not necessarily cheap. Anything big and broken should give you pause. For more information, check out the Old Woodworking Machines site www.owwm.org.

Some will tell you to rush off and get an Iturra catalog and buy a bunch of "upgrades". I recommend you get experience with the machine for a few months before buying any of that stuff. You'll have a much better idea what adds value and what doesn't. You will need decent bands, and the ever-recommended Suffolk Machinery is a good place to start.

Pete

Those were my thoughts too, I just have to work out the logistics of getting it. Thanks for the input and if I get it I will drop some pictures.

James
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of being. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by James Wellman View Post
    It needs a little work, mostly cosmetic, which I would find enjoyable
    I think you answered your own question.

More power may not be "better" - back in the day HP ratings were actual - now they are motor limit without load or somesuch (so they wind them up without load until failure and that becomes "HP"). I'm currently looking at a 20" Crescent that's got a 1HP 3phase motor - haven't decided yet whether I'm going to invest in a rotary converter or convert the saw itself - probably the converter.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

I just made $1600 in 8 hours today with my 101 year old bandsaw--I don't think age is an issue.