Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 HP Electric Motor - What Can I do with it?

1/4 HP Electric Motor - What Can I do with it?

All,

Not that I need more projects to do, I already push the LOML limits as it is....BUT........I have 1/4 hp electric motor that came out of a washing machine I scrapped. I have had it for a year or two, and am not quite sure what to do with it. I will post a photo later with the label, but I am wondering what it might be good for.... A small dust collector, or a homegrown lathe, or some other idea?

I have a grinder, and a shop air filter. Or is this a case where it is better of sold for scrap?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    You might be able to fashion it into a disc sander on a stand if you can find the appropriate items and it's configured in such a way to allow it.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Door stop.
    Paper weight
    "Scottish" throwing "hammer" (until the cord comes off)
    Conversation piece
    Anything that requires 1/4 HP or less power.

YM

At least yours was free.
    I bought one at a garage sale for $0.50. Since I didn't find a use for it for 2 years I put it on CL for $5. That was 3 months ago.

If you buy mine you will have bookends!

I purchased a belt grinder for sharpening tools at Lee Valley. It needs a motor, 1/4 HP would be perfect if it's 1725 RPM or lower.......Rod.

When I was a kid we had a homegrown grinder with a small motor like that. The blade was a partially used chop saw wheel. It is nice to have the skinny wheel sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I purchased a belt grinder for sharpening tools at Lee Valley. It needs a motor, 1/4 HP would be perfect if it's 1725 RPM or lower.......Rod.
    It is 1725 and we are neighbors! Too bad that darn lake is in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Too bad that darn lake is in the way.
    LOL

Wade, I say that to myself every labour Day weekend as I ride to the BMW rally in Watkins Glen.......Regards, Rod.

Get a mandrel and some grinding or buffer wheels?

If you were into metal smithing you'd be making a buffer for polishing. You can use to to polish the wood bowls you 'just' turned.

Another idea is to use the motor to drive on of those 'build it your self' drum sander. Not sure if it is powerfull enough for that though.

Michael

I did the same thing when we dumped our washer years ago. I still have the motor. One thing is that it's likely not a TEFC motor - it's probably ODP (Open Drip Proof). That means it could get clogged up with dust and stuff pretty easily. It's also likely designed to be mounted vertically - don't know what the ramifications are of taking a motor designed for vertical mount and using it horizontally.

I suppose you could make a nice pottery wheel with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    I did the same thing when we dumped our washer years ago. I still have the motor. One thing is that it's likely not a TEFC motor - it's probably ODP (Open Drip Proof). That means it could get clogged up with dust and stuff pretty easily. It's also likely designed to be mounted vertically - don't know what the ramifications are of taking a motor designed for vertical mount and using it horizontally.

I suppose you could make a nice pottery wheel with it.

I was thinking that they aren't TEFC. However, my grandfather used an old one, in a wooden box, with buffer wheels and what I have left on it since he died and I started using it, a wire wheel. Great for cleaning up threads.

Rob Will Guest
    I vote for a small wire wheel or a buffing wheel directly on the motor shaft with some sort of mandrel.

Rob

Use it to find out how fast your gerbal can run, and for how long! It would be a serious upgrade for an erector set. Can it push a pump for a vacuum clamping system? Perhaps a home made ceiling fan? Are you limiting its use to woodworking? It could easily push a beer conveyor system...I'm thinking small fridge...rubber conveyor..gotta work on a dispensing design..

Mount it vertically with a table and make a drum sander. Someone sells an attachment so you can do that. I think its one of them places like Meisels or a craft place. about 20 bucks