Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get this Hitachi router or hold off...

Should I get this Hitachi router or hold off...

...for a nicer router? I currently have an old Skil plunge router from the mid 90's that has roughly 1 1/2 hp. It only holds 1/4 shank bits. I also just purchased the Triton 3 1/4 hp, but it will be mounted under a table.

I was planing on waiting until I could afford the Milwaukee Body Grip 2 1/4 hp router combo ($240), but I found a good price on this Hitachi 2 1/4 hp router kit ($99, see link). It seems to get good reviews for the price.

So here is the question...should I get the Hitachi or hold off a while until I can afford the Milwaukee? Does anyone on here have experience with either or both?

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/hitachi/KM12VC/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eric,

I'd hold off for the Milwaukee, personally. The Skil will get you through until then, and Milwaukee NEVER disappoints. My hat is off to them for not lowering their standards when everyone else has.

Edit: I seem to remember reading somewher that the Hitachi is a great router, but that it goes through motor brushes pretty quickly. Did you read the amazon reviews on it yet?

I have the Hitachi set, and the only problem I have had is that I sometimes the router bit seems to slide a bit. I don't know if I'm not making sure that it is tight, or a problem with the collet, but it only happens occasionally.

The old Hitachi M12v is a great router. I have no reason to doubt that this one is as well.

The thing I don't like about it, is that it looks like a atheletic shoe.

tools shouldn't look like toys or tennis shoes

just my .005cents worth

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

That's really a call you'll have to make depending on how badly you need the new router. It's always nice to get what you had your heart set on, but if you need it now, you need it now.

I had the 5615 BodyGrip and loved the way it felt for handuse. I sold it to get a 5625 but I still miss it....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have that set and love it, my bits have never moved.

Bob

Rigid

Has anyone tried the rigid router Kit?I have been looking at it and am interested
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

I have that router set up I like it alot. Also the bases are set up exactly like porter cable.

I have the same Hitachi router set, like it very well. Mounted it to a plate and use it in a table. No blade movement on mine. Think Hitachi tools are not getting the respect they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Eric,

I'd hold off for the Milwaukee, personally. The Skil will get you through until then, and Milwaukee NEVER disappoints. My hat is off to them for not lowering their standards when everyone else has.

Edit: I seem to remember reading somewher that the Hitachi is a great router, but that it goes through motor brushes pretty quickly. Did you read the amazon reviews on it yet?
    Yes, I read the reviews on Amazon and a few others. It seems to be a good router that is great for the money. A few people have had complaints about things like the bit slipping, the motor being a little high, etc., but mostly good reviews.

I'm with you on the Milwaukee, but there is one main reason I hesitate to wait. I have so many other tools I need/want that it may end up being a year or two or longer before I can spend almost $250 on a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    The old Hitachi M12v is a great router. I have no reason to doubt that this one is as well.

The thing I don't like about it, is that it looks like a atheletic shoe.

tools shouldn't look like toys or tennis shoes

just my .005cents worth

Joe
    I grew up in the Air Jordan era, so I'm kind of partial to athletic shoes. Besides, the bright colors help your significant other find you when you are covered in dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    Has anyone tried the rigid router Kit?I have been looking at it and am interested
    If you're going to spend $200 on a router kit, you may want to take a close look at the Milwaukee Body Grip kit. I'm going strictly off of reviews, but it seems to be the best.

If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who have the Hitachi kit, what did you pay for it? Or better yet, $99 is a pretty good price for it, correct?

i have a buddy that bought the hitachi router not too long ago and he wasnt too pleased with it. he did what your talking about doing and bought it becuase it was on sale somewhere dirt cheap. and hanging out in his shop doing more drinking than working we did have a nice drunken stuper about the graghix on their tools. i never had many routers i had an old bd plunge that the hieght lock slipped gradually while using it. sold it and bought a pc690 when lowes was selling off some old stock, got it brand new in the box un opened for 40 bucks along with a pc 557 plate joiner (display modle) for 40 bucks also. i really liked the 690 but having to buy a speed box sucked. i usually keep an eye on ebay and bought an 890 and just about an hour ago bought a brand new milwaukee 5625 for 250 out the door with 5yr warrantee. i was reading up on this router and from the sounds of the features on it, it looks like it will burry the pc7518. atleast from what the features on it say. i know what made me buy it was the hieght adjustment and no need for a router lift with it either.

i would say if you really want a good router wait and buy a good router. hitachi makes weekend warrior tools in my opinion, you would be better off going with a professional brand name like porter cable, bosch, milwaukee. (dewalt is not a pro quality tool so i didnt include it) all of them are known for making pro quality tools. and it is always better to get what you really want than to have to make due with something you dont want.
    a proud member of local 47 plumber's and steamfitters. union construction getting it done right and on time the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCann View Post
    I have that router set up I like it alot. Also the bases are set up exactly like porter cable.
    The fact that it has a base like the PC is an excellent point. It should make it easy to find accessories. I'm starting to lean towards getting it.

Do you think $99 is a good price for it?