Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get this Hitachi router or hold off...

Quote Originally Posted by brad kellner View Post
    i have a buddy that bought the hitachi router not too long ago and he wasnt too pleased with it. he did what your talking about doing and bought it becuase it was on sale somewhere dirt cheap. and hanging out in his shop doing more drinking than working we did have a nice drunken stuper about the graghix on their tools. i never had many routers i had an old bd plunge that the hieght lock slipped gradually while using it. sold it and bought a pc690 when lowes was selling off some old stock, got it brand new in the box un opened for 40 bucks along with a pc 557 plate joiner (display modle) for 40 bucks also. i really liked the 690 but having to buy a speed box sucked. i usually keep an eye on ebay and bought an 890 and just about an hour ago bought a brand new milwaukee 5625 for 250 out the door with 5yr warrantee. i was reading up on this router and from the sounds of the features on it, it looks like it will burry the pc7518. atleast from what the features on it say. i know what made me buy it was the hieght adjustment and no need for a router lift with it either.

i would say if you really want a good router wait and buy a good router. hitachi makes weekend warrior tools in my opinion, you would be better off going with a professional brand name like porter cable, bosch, milwaukee. (dewalt is not a pro quality tool so i didnt include it) all of them are known for making pro quality tools. and it is always better to get what you really want than to have to make due with something you dont want.
    Thanks Brad. Did he say what about the router made him not pleased? Did he just not like the way it functioned or did something specific happen?

I paid $119 with free shipping from amazon over a year ago. People can say what they want about it but it works great. I plan on buy another.

Bob

I have that model Hitachi and I am very pleased with it's performance. Its noise level rating is really good.

The price of $99 for the router and plunge option is a good one, although I think the stated retail price of $316 is a bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by Erech Myers View Post
    A few people have had complaints about things like the bit slipping
    Remember folks....when installing router bits, seat them to the bottom of the collet, THEN pull the bit out abouth 3/16ths to 1/8th of an inch. Failure to do so will cause the bit to slip, as the collet has no hold on it - I don't care what router you use.
    Maurice

Does it have "soft start"?

I think it is a heckuva buy, but for hand-held use I've found soft start to be a significant plus. I saw no mention of that in the specs. For those of you who own one...is it difficult to hold onto when you turn it on?

Andy

99 is a very good price for the this router. The only time I saw it cheaper was on ebay for 89.

Does this router have a dust control hook up?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Does this router have a dust control hook up?
    I don't think there is dust collection.

So that makes two things, no soft start and no dust collection...hmmm...

Erech Myers

Thanks I think I'll buy or make my own for my PC690
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-11-2008 at 1:19 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I don't think there is dust collection.

So that makes two things, no soft start and no dust collection...hmmm...

I do have this router. I would have replied quiker but I just acted on the deal and bought a backup. I have this mounted in a jess em master lift in my table saw. It has the same motor body diameter of a makita 1100. I also have a makita 1100, a PC 694, 2 older rockwells, a bosch colt, an older b&d industrial, and now another Hitachi. I love this router. I'm not a big fan of the colors, but when it's in my lift you can't see it anyways. I burned out my makita while doing some raised panels and couldn't get a replacement for it at the time. I found out that this one would fit the lift so I bought it and it has been getting abused in that lift ever since. No complaints at all for this router and the bases. I haven't actually used the fixed base yet, but here are a few pictures from the plunge base in action.

I would suggest that you buy this at $99. Heck, I just did. I also shot the link off to a buddy who is looking for a router kit right now too. I'm sure he's going to get it too. I paid $189 for the kit at lowes right around x-mas time. Sounds like I get took on the price, but I needed a router at that exact moment in time. Not in three days or ? I have been very impressed with the tool. As far as it not being a "Professional" tool, I disagree whole heartedly. My Hitachi is seeing about 5 good hours of use per day since I bought it and more on the weekends. Before the Hitachi I had a makita in there. I went thorugh three makita motors in 4 months. The hitachi has not failed yet. That is the reason to buy another one for me. I know that it is just a matter of time before I burn this one out, and now I have a ready replacement.

If you have any other questions let me know. I personally reccomend this product and use it everyday. I beat on this tool too. It is not getting babied in my shop. The pictures shows it making some table legs in White Oak. I was routing a 2 1/2" deep grove in three passes with a half inch bit. My PC 694 would stall in this setting.

here are a few more corrections.

Router does have soft start. and is one of the quietest that I have used.

Router does not have dust collection built on.

PC Base does not relate to Hitachi motor, but the Bases plates mounting is the same.

Standard PC guides will bolt right in to the hitachi base plate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78986

here is a link to the weekend thread that has the pictures of the router in action. I guess you can't load the same picture on two threads. But you can still see it in the pictures on the above thread. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to help.

I have this router kit and I like it fine. It's a good basic router for the money.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have that kit and payed more than that on EBay for a good condition used one. Mine has done everything I've asked of it, in table or in hand. My fixed base stays bolted to my extension wing on the table saw and I use the plunge for everything else. If shipping is halfway reasonable, I'd jump on it!

I have that router and love it. No slippage.

That's the sale price that comes around a couple times per year. They make a variable speed for about 30 bucks more.

EDIT: Oops, that is the variable speed. You won't find a better price. I'd jump on that with the performance I've received from mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gauger View Post
    I do have this router. I would have replied quiker but I just acted on the deal and bought a backup. I have this mounted in a jess em master lift in my table saw. It has the same motor body diameter of a makita 1100. I also have a makita 1100, a PC 694, 2 older rockwells, a bosch colt, an older b&d industrial, and now another Hitachi. I love this router. I'm not a big fan of the colors, but when it's in my lift you can't see it anyways. I burned out my makita while doing some raised panels and couldn't get a replacement for it at the time. I found out that this one would fit the lift so I bought it and it has been getting abused in that lift ever since. No complaints at all for this router and the bases. I haven't actually used the fixed base yet, but here are a few pictures from the plunge base in action.

I would suggest that you buy this at $99. Heck, I just did. I also shot the link off to a buddy who is looking for a router kit right now too. I'm sure he's going to get it too. I paid $189 for the kit at lowes right around x-mas time. Sounds like I get took on the price, but I needed a router at that exact moment in time. Not in three days or ? I have been very impressed with the tool. As far as it not being a "Professional" tool, I disagree whole heartedly. My Hitachi is seeing about 5 good hours of use per day since I bought it and more on the weekends. Before the Hitachi I had a makita in there. I went thorugh three makita motors in 4 months. The hitachi has not failed yet. That is the reason to buy another one for me. I know that it is just a matter of time before I burn this one out, and now I have a ready replacement.

If you have any other questions let me know. I personally reccomend this product and use it everyday. I beat on this tool too. It is not getting babied in my shop. The pictures shows it making some table legs in White Oak. I was routing a 2 1/2" deep grove in three passes with a half inch bit. My PC 694 would stall in this setting.

here are a few more corrections.

Router does have soft start. and is one of the quietest that I have used.

Router does not have dust collection built on.

PC Base does not relate to Hitachi motor, but the Bases plates mounting is the same.

Standard PC guides will bolt right in to the hitachi base plate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78986

here is a link to the weekend thread that has the pictures of the router in action. I guess you can't load the same picture on two threads. But you can still see it in the pictures on the above thread. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to help.
    Thanks Travis, you just put me over the top. I'm glad to know it has the soft start. I was leaning towards getting it, but I had set my heart on the Milwaukee a while back. But for that price, I'm getting a router that will do everything the Milwaukee can do (minus dust collection), and should last me a long time since I'm just a weekend hobbiest. Plus, I can put that other $130 towards the many other tools I need!

I've seen these on the Lowe's "closeout" table for as little as $50. Don't remember if they came with the plunge base, though.

That's a pretty good price, so I'd grab it if price is a major issue. Otherwise, I can't say enough good things about my Bosch 1617EVSK. Paid twice as much. However, it came with a bunch of nice accessories (edge guide, dust collection shrouds, etc.). Sears still has a few of these with the "Craftsman" label on them on closeout for around $120 or so. You'll have to visit a few stores and dig around to find them, though.

Jason

...for a nicer router? I currently have an old Skil plunge router from the mid 90's that has roughly 1 1/2 hp. It only holds 1/4 shank bits. I also just purchased the Triton 3 1/4 hp, but it will be mounted under a table.

I was planing on waiting until I could afford the Milwaukee Body Grip 2 1/4 hp router combo ($240), but I found a good price on this Hitachi 2 1/4 hp router kit ($99, see link). It seems to get good reviews for the price.

So here is the question...should I get the Hitachi or hold off a while until I can afford the Milwaukee? Does anyone on here have experience with either or both?

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/hitachi/KM12VC/