Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My head is spinning.... What bandsaw blades to get.

My head is spinning.... What bandsaw blades to get.

I have my 14 inch Jet all ready to go, bolted to the stand and installed the Carter Quick Release today.

Now the 3/8 blade that came with the saw is really junk, it will cut pine really well but that is about it.

So I am going to order 3 blades, now just which ones.

From all the searching and reading I will be Getting Timber Wolf blades.

I want one for small curves, one for general work and one for some resaw work.
    So I would think I want a 1/4 for the smaller curves, anything that it wouldn't handle I think I would be better to use a scroll saw for.

A 3/8, not sure on pitch for general use.

A 3/8, not sure on pitch for resaw, I don't think the 14 in bandsaw can really handle a 1/2 in. blade will it?

So what do I need to order.

Michael Fortune, in an article named "Five Tips for Better Bandsawing" and published in Fine Woodworking, argues a standard carbon steel 1/2" 3 TPI skiptooth is the best blade for all around bandsawing. He says a 1/3 hp motor can easily handle such a blade, or 1/2 hp with a riser block.

The key, according to the article, is buying in bulk and replacing the blade frequently. He uses some fairly cheap blades manufactured by Starrett and distributed through www.bcsaw.com. They are only 8.95 apiece.

Interesting article: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=24093

I get my Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery, buy 3, get 1 free!

That saw will definetely tension a 1/2" blade, I like a 3th or 4 tooth hook blade for rip, 3th hook blade for resaw. I keep one blade for resaw that doesn't get used for ripping or curves. I use a 3/8" 6th for general purpose and a 1/4" 10P for tighter curves.

Check the confusing but helpful chart link below for other suggestions regarding the specific type of wood you are cutting and the work you are doing.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/sili..._selection.asp

I second Peter's reference to Suffolk. They are the manufacturer of Timberwolf and are a pleasure to do business with. Just tell them what kind of cutting you plan on doing and they will make recommendations for what blade configurations you should have on hand. Buying direct is also less expensive than buying blades from the same stock at retail. Do consider buying more than one of the blade you think you will use the most since band saw blades are "disposables" and it's a pain to run out of cutting in the middle of a great project weekend!

Oh, and your 14" machine will handle a 1/2" blade with no problem.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I pretty much knew what I wanted, but took the easy way out and just called Timberwolf and had them sell me 4 blades based on what I told them. They have some kind of buy 3 get 1 free deal right now.

BTW, it is very weird to see another Peter Q around.

Bill, I buy all my bandsaw blades from my local saw shop. I like a 1/8" 14 tooth blade for small, tight cuts, like bandsawn boxes. I use a 1/4" 4tooth blade for general purpose, and a 1/2" 3tooth for resawing. If you decide to use an 1/8" blade, the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer is a good add on. It really helps with the tight turns.

If you are new to a bandsaw, I suggest you purchase one of the bandsaw books by either Lonnie Bird or Mark Duginske. Mark's book is newly published and is really excellent. Either book will tell you how to set up and align your saw and will discuss the various blade types and when to use which. Bandsaw blades are fairly specific as to their use and your saw will perform much better when you use the correct blade. Both books will also tell you how to use your saw to its best advantage.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I get my Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery, buy 3, get 1 free!

That saw will definetely tension a 1/2" blade, I like a 3th or 4 tooth hook blade for rip, 3th hook blade for resaw. I keep one blade for resaw that doesn't get used for ripping or curves. I use a 3/8" 6th for general purpose and a 1/4" 10P for tighter curves.

Check the confusing but helpful chart link below for other suggestions regarding the specific type of wood you are cutting and the work you are doing.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/sili..._selection.asp
    Thanks that was the infor I was looking for, I guess I will be calling them tomorrow and see what the have to sell...

Oh, and your 14" machine will handle a 1/2" blade with no problem.
    Thats what I get for reading to much, I read that a 14 inch would not handle a 1/2 blade, so I guess the 1/2 would be the best for resawing.

Thanks Jim..

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Bill, I buy all my bandsaw blades from my local saw shop. I like a 1/8" 14 tooth blade for small, tight cuts, like bandsawn boxes. I use a 1/4" 4tooth blade for general purpose, and a 1/2" 3tooth for resawing. If you decide to use an 1/8" blade, the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer is a good add on. It really helps with the tight turns.
    How does the saw handle an 1/8 blade, it is stable, its just so small and the saw is so big.....

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    If you are new to a bandsaw, I suggest you purchase one of the bandsaw books by either Lonnie Bird or Mark Duginske. Mark's book is newly published and is really excellent. Either book will tell you how to set up and align your saw and will discuss the various blade types and when to use which. Bandsaw blades are fairly specific as to their use and your saw will perform much better when you use the correct blade. Both books will also tell you how to use your saw to its best advantage.
    Howard, I have the Bandsaw book by Lonnie Bird and am reading it. The problem is I just get so over loaded with information after awhile I still don't have any idea what I am doing.

Don't sweat it. The blades are pretty cheap, and they don't last forever. Just grab a few and try them out. You'll soon get a feel for what works and what doesn't. I would recommend that over time you try different manufacturers like Timber Wolf, Highland Hardware's wood slicer, and Lenox. Some will definitely perform better on your saw than others.

Remember it's supposed to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    How does the saw handle an 1/8 blade, it is stable, its just so small and the saw is so big.....
    It does so quite nicely. I have used an 1/8" blade for a long time, both with cool blocks and the Carter Stabilizer. With the cool blocks, you can bury the blade in them, but the turning radius isnt as good as with the Stabilizer. The Stabilizer allows the blade to turn and you can make cuts that almost turn back on themselves, maybe 3/16". You can help make even tighter turns by using a stone on the back side of the running blade and rounding off the edge.

I just ordered a couple 1/16" blades from Supercut. I dont have them yet, but look forward to using them. Ive never used a blade that small, so its going to be interesting.

http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/index.html
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 03-10-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Added link

Supercut is another less known choice

I have a Rikon 10-325 and have been running a T'wolf 3/4" for resawing and 1/4" for curved work. I became aware of Supercut with their carbide impregnated teeth. A somewhat common complaint with Timberwolf & Woodslicer is they're not real durable. Some people run bimetal for greater blade life especially for woods with silica in them. I just got a 1/2" Supercut premium gold blade. I'd say the cut quality is about like the Timberwolf 3/4" 2/3 variable pitch blade. The Supercut blade seems like it will feed faster than the Timberwolf but will produce a smoother cut when fed slower. Neither the Timberwolf or the Supercut blade requires any drift correction on my saw so far. Neither blade will produce a cut as smooth as a table saw but a 1/32" pass thru a jointer or a swipe with a hand plane will clean it right up.

HTH

Curt

Blog Entries
    I have the Rikon 10-325 and use a Lenox 1/4" Bimetal. I got the idea from this article.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good