Thread: My first hand plane purchase - Where to begin?

My first hand plane purchase - Where to begin?

I am primarily a power tool guy (with a plethora of equipment) but would like to acquire my first hand plane. I would like my first one to be versatile, with many applicable uses. My work is mostly smaller scale stuff - decorative boxes and small chests. As I know next to nothing about planes, I could use some guidance.

I was thinking that a small block plane would be a good place to start and was considering the following Lie-Nielson standard angle block plane. Would this be a good choice for a versatile first plane purchase?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=102
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Either the standard angle or the low-angle would be a good plane to start with. Since you're doing small boxes, etc., the low-angle will work well for squaring up end grain. I started with an old block plane and migrated from there. Even if you can't think of things that you might use a blcok plane for, I guarantee as soon as you have one in your hands, you miraculously find all sorts of things to do with it. Sort of like if a hammer is your only tool. Everything starts to look like a nail.

The next plane I would go to is perhaps a smoothing plane like a Stanley #4 or an LN.

I would agree with Sam.
    I add that you should NOT go for the rabbeting block plane as your first plane.
    Interesting tool, and I have one, but I reach for the standard block plane almost always unless I need the special capabilities of the rabbeter.
    I would disagree with Sam on the second purchase though, I would suggest a #62 or a #7, both more versatile and useful than a #4 in my opinion, YMMV.
    Welcome to the slippery slope. (now, where did I put my grease - grin)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thanks guys. Now the only question is whether to go with the standard angle or the low angle (which, as I understand it, is primarily for end grain).

I was thinking the standard would be more versatile.

Any relevant thoughts?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glenn

I only have a standard angle but I know a lot of people prefer the low angle which makes me think it may have a wider range of applications.

Glen,

My LN 102 is probably my most used plane. I bought a LN adjustable mouth low angle block plane last summer, and it's very nice; but I still prefer my 102 for most things. Maybe it's habit, but I've not found much it can't do. I don't own a standard angle block plane. My 102 does it all plus some things a standard angle plane can't do. I'm sure you will get some different opinions on this, but I think you would be happy with the low angle 102. Get it in bronze - much nicer than iron with a heftier feel.

If you're looking ahead to your second plane, I sugest a low angle jack. They are probably the most versitile general purpose plane around.

Hank
    Last edited by Hank Knight; 03-11-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Glen,
    If you can, see which one feels better in your hand.
    There really is not much functional difference between them.
    If not, then pick one, you cant go wrong with either.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Good choice you will probably use this plane on every project you work on. I would by the LA. Later on if you think standard angle is needed just by a replacement blade and sharpen it at a higher angle (changing the LA to standard angle)

The 102 is a great little plane, I use mine a ton.

I use my LA alot more than my standard angle..

For something with a little more versatility, take a look at the Lee Valley/Veritas low angle block plane. By adding some of the other blades pre-cut with different angles you can work different types of wood grain. While you can do the same thing with Lie-Nielsen planes, by buying extra blades, you've got to make those different bevels yourself.

Another nice option with the LV block is the ability to add an optional knob and tote, and then you've essentially got something the size of a #3 bench plane. Another option is the chamfer guide.

The nice thing here is that you can buy just the block plane to start. Get a bit of experience and you can pick-up some of the options later.

Blog Entries

Good choice

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I am primarily a power tool guy (with a plethora of equipment) but would like to acquire my first hand plane. I would like my first one to be versatile, with many applicable uses. My work is mostly smaller scale stuff - decorative boxes and small chests. As I know next to nothing about planes, I could use some guidance.
    For what you are doing, this is a good choice. For what I do, a Stanley 60-1/2 or a 65 (or equivilants) would be my choice and may also be good for your work.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    I would disagree with Sam on the second purchase though, I would suggest a #62 or a #7, both more versatile and useful than a #4 in my opinion, YMMV.
    I think both of these would be too big for "smaller scale stuff."

If you have large hands and fingers, a #4 would be good. If the hands a little smaller, then a #3 might be better. If you have a chance to get to a tool show where you can handle the different sizes or if there is a woodcrafter where you can do so, this would be a good way to get the feel of the tools.

A #7 is 22 inches long and 2-1/2 inches wide. This seems a little big for small stuff.

A #2 would be nice, but for some folks it is too small and not as comfortable to use as a 3 or 4.

my 2 cents. (how do you make a cent sign on a PC?)

jim

Glen, I was mostly a power tool guy until recently. It's really funny how things change. I was just out in my shop looking at some 8 ft boards that needed to be cleaned up. I have a small shop, so all my stuff is mobile and it takes forever to get set up. So I'm mostly a weekend woodworker unfortunately. Anyway, I'm thinking about how I sure would like to run those boards through my planer and then it occurred to me... I only had two boards, and I have a No. 5 Stanley plane. So I knocked em both out in about 30 minutes. No noise, no moving stuff around, and some exercise. It was awesome. My advice is to not overthink it. Get a nice plane and start playing around with it. It's fascinating to me that we seem to be more intimidated by hand tools than power tools. I bet my great grandfather would get a good laugh about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Faurot View Post
    For something with a little more versatility, take a look at the Lee Valley/Veritas low angle block plane.
    You could not possibly go wrong with the LN here, but I personally agree with Mike. I have the Lee Valley LA block plane with knob and tote and I love it.

I recently compared all of the LN and LV planes side-to-side at the Somerset NJ woodworking show. I was basically looking for three planes: jack, smoother and shoulder. For me, the price difference between LN and LV was not really a consideration. They are generally within about 15%.

I was so impressed with the comfort of the LA block with the optional tote installed, that I bought it instead of the LA smoother. I also bought the LA jack and medium shoulder and have been very happy so far.