Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strip-built fly rod

Strip-built fly rod

Well, I finished my fly rod.

Basically 6 strips of white ash, milled at 30 degrees, glued into a hexagon and sanded to a taper. Attach reel seat, grip and ferrules. Wind on the guides with thread.

Overall, an interesting project. I learned a lot. I guess it didn't turn out too bad for my first attempt. Hopefully the next on will be better.

Take a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

A tedious task I'm sure. Nicely done Royce! What weight line are you going to use on it? What finish did you use?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Why six strips of ash instead of just one piece?

And how did you mill the strips? With such tiny cross-section they'd likely flop around if I fed them through my table saw or jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    A tedious task I'm sure. Nicely done Royce! What weight line are you going to use on it? What finish did you use?

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure about the line weight yet. I'm thinking 3 or 4 weight. I didn't really have a comparable rod to compare with while doing the taper.

I am going to a fly fishing expo this weekend. I intend to take it with me and stop by the reel and/or line vendors and try out some different combinations.

Finished with 2 coats of brushed-on spar urethane followed by 3 coats of sparyed-on spar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Why six strips of ash instead of just one piece?

And how did you mill the strips? With such tiny cross-section they'd likely flop around if I fed them through my table saw or jointer.
    6 strips instead of one piece so that the grain can be oriented so that when the rod flexes one direction it is supported by grain on the other side. That way minor changes in grain direction are offset by grain on the other side of the rod. In a nutshell, a lamination will be stronger than a single piece.

Milled at 30 degrees using a 30 degree chamfer bit in a router table with lots of feather boards and guides.
    Last edited by Royce Meritt; 03-11-2008 at 11:20 AM.

This thread reminded me of my father-in-law (now gone) who used to make his own fly rods. His technique was probably very traditional, but I didn't know anything about rod building (and still don't). I do remember that he had a jig that was essentially a 30-degree cavity in a board about 4" wide and longer than the rod. I think the cavity was also tapered end-to-end. He started with a small rectangular strip of bamboo or hardwood in the cavity, and then used a block plane and cabinet scraper to flatten the exposed surface of the strip flush with the top of the jig -- essentially like a specialized long-grain shooting board. His approach yielded six identical wedge-shaped pieces to glue up. I don't know if he made or purchased the jig.

Ok, I'm not into fishing, but I have to say that you made a fine looking rod there! I suspect that you'll get a lot of enjoyment, not just from its performance, but from the fact that you'll be using something made with your own hands. What's not to like about that?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Well done Royce,
    You've cornered the mkt on out door products.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    This thread reminded me of my father-in-law (now gone) who used to make his own fly rods. His technique was probably very traditional, but I didn't know anything about rod building (and still don't). I do remember that he had a jig that was essentially a 30-degree cavity in a board about 4" wide and longer than the rod. I think the cavity was also tapered end-to-end. He started with a small rectangular strip of bamboo or hardwood in the cavity, and then used a block plane and cabinet scraper to flatten the exposed surface of the strip flush with the top of the jig -- essentially like a specialized long-grain shooting board. His approach yielded six identical wedge-shaped pieces to glue up. I don't know if he made or purchased the jig.
    You got it right. That is the traditional way of making split bamboo rods. I have not made a bamboo rod but may also give that a try someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Well done Royce,
    You've cornered the mkt on out door products.
    Hey Tyler!

Yep, a lot of my projects seem to gravitate toward outdoor themes. To date I have made:

Duck, goose, deer and elk calls
    Gun cases and cabinets
    Walking sticks
    shooting sticks

Fly rods
    fly boxes
    landing nets
    rod cases
    rod racks
    fly tying desks

Golf putters

I guess, since I don't get to spend as much time with all of my hobbies (hunting, fishing, golf and woodworking) as I like I just combine them.

Nice rod ,Royce! But I'll get mine from Cabelas thank you very much. I wouldn't want a rod I built give out when I got a lunker on the other end.!!
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

That's really impressive. Make sure you post once you get a chance to spool some line on it and lay some line out.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Meritt View Post
    Hey Tyler!

Yep, a lot of my projects seem to gravitate toward outdoor themes. To date I have made:

Duck, goose, deer and elk calls
    Gun cases and cabinets
    Walking sticks
    shooting sticks

Fly rods
    fly boxes
    landing nets
    rod cases
    rod racks
    fly tying desks

Golf putters

I guess, since I don't get to spend as much time with all of my hobbies (hunting, fishing, golf and woodworking) as I like I just combine them.
    Royce,

Not to hijack this thread, but what is a "shooting stick"?
    Keel McDonald ><>

Fly rod

There is a great tradition of cane rod building in America. Orvis claims they made their first rod when Lincoln was a Whig. They sell new for well over a grand. I'm all graphite myself but would love to own a cane rod. I'd be curious how the ash handles on the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald View Post
    Royce,

Not to hijack this thread, but what is a "shooting stick"?
    For lack of a better way to describ it, a shooting stick is used to support a rifle when shooting.