Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Table Saws: Unisaw Vs PM 66

Used Table Saws: Unisaw Vs PM 66

While the pickings are typically very slim when it comes to good, used power tools in Colorado, I have recently seen what appear to be nice examples of Delta Unisaws and a even a few Powermatic 66 models on craigslist. I'm not ready to buy such a saw just yet, but I'd like to pose a few questions which would help when I do decide to buy:

- Am I correct that a PM-66 has a riving knife, but a Unisaw does not?

- Are the older Unisaws, pre-1980s, any better or worse than newer models? I've seen what appear to be nice examples of older Unisaws for sale on craigslist

- Are there any particular versions or years of manufacture to be avoided when shopping for used Unisaws or Powermatic cabinet saws?

- The trend seems to be $1,000 for a late model, used unisaw with fence. Would you agree this is a fair price?

- If the conditions are similar, would a used PM-66 deserve a higher price than a used Unisaw?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 03-10-2008 at 1:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    - Am I correct that a PM-66 has a riving knife, but a Unisaw does not?
    No, the PM-66 does not have a riving knife.

As for prices, not really sure what's good. I picked up a 1966 PM-66 (yeah, first year they were made), a rockwell/delta 14" bandsaw, and a PM 6" jointer for a grand total. Hope that's some help.

Pat,
    Good luck in your search. I owned a 1970s Unisaw, and a 1990 PM66. The PM66 does not have a riving knife. The new Powermatic 2000 has a riving knife. The Unisaws sell for less than the PM66s in my area, Phoenix. The unifence models sell for less than the ones with a Biesemeyer. I sold my 1990 PM66 for $1500 on Craig's list 2 years ago. I see Unisaws going for $1000 with the unifence here, Unisaws with a Biesemeyer for $1100-1200, and PM66s for $1200-1500 depending on condition. I think both saws, when made in the USA with USA made motors, are very well built. Having owned both, I have a perference the left tilt of the PM66. That is a very contentious topic here, a search will yield a thousand posts

Were it me and both saws were approximately the same age and about the same condition, I'd pick the PM66 over the Unisaw. Nothing against the Unisaw, I just feel that the PM66 was a really awesome saw.

As for the price, I paid $1,000 for a used General 350 and was pretty happy with that deal. Not ecstatic, but happy. For a good condition late model Unisaw, PM66 or General 350/650, I think around $800-$1,000 would be the average. Of course, plenty on here have found killer deals well below that.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    The PM66 does not have a riving knife. The new Powermatic 2000 has a riving knife.
    Good to know! I expect if the PM 2000 is a newer model, it would be tough to find a used example. (I wonder if Marc Spagnuolo would part with his... )

Thanks for the other info as well. It's all very helpful.

I would pick whichever example is in the better condition and has the better fence. Old unisaws are just as good as new ones, in my opinion, as long as they weren't abused.

I've owned the General 350, Unisaw, and PM66. My favorite was the PM. Even though it was an ugly old beater, it cut smoothly and had more robust build than the other two. And the left tilt was nice... You can get a splitter add-on for just about any table saw. I like the Biesemeyer. With a little creativity and some aluminum sheet stock, you can make a low profile splitter that is shaped like a riving knife and hugs the back of the blade. I used to have two - one for 4/4 stock and one for 8/4.
    JR

I concur with Joe Jensen, he's spot on for pricing in Phoenix. However, there sometimes comes that rare deal that disappears in a day. Right now there is a 3-phase good looking PM66 w/ 52" biesmeyer, probably 1986ish, for $500. If I didn't have one, I'd buy it and get a phase converter heh.

I see you're in Colorado, here's an idea: look for other local folks on SMC, and PM them your interest in a saw, and ask for a point out if they see a decent one.

I find great deals on PM66 or unisaws quite often here in Phx, and always wish I had someone to tell who cared...if anyone in Phoenix expressed an interest, I'd be PMing them. I guess I just enjoy used tool shopping, but indications are that so do MOST SMCers!

I've used a unisaw and PM66 side by side at the AFB here, and both myself and most other folks in that shop liked the PM66 better. Both were great, and I'd be happy with either.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I'll be sure to PM some Colorado folks when I'm ready to buy. There is currently a Powermatic 66 on craigslist, in Colorado Springs. There are no pictures because "it's in a shed". I'm thinking it must be rough, but he's selling it for under a grand, so it may be worthwhile. Hmmmm...

Well if your asking for opinions
    I've used the Uni's, the 66's, Tannys, an old Oliver, and for a good general purpose shop saw the 66 is my choice.
    Either the Uni or the 66 would be a great saw to have, both will get the job done, but I'd still take the 66. I didn't have two to pick from back when I bought mine, and ended up with a 54' Uni for my own shop.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Both are good, but I'd pick the PM66 for the reasons mentioned. In fact, I did.

One other item is that PM's come in 3 models, left tilt, left tilt, and left tilt....

The unisaw's came in a LOT of different configurations and flavors. There are some Uni's which I would have a hard time passing up, but others which I can walk on by. Depends on your preference.

I wanted a left tilt.

mike

is there a way to look up the age of a pm66 by the Ser. #?

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bureau View Post
    is there a way to look up the age of a pm66 by the Ser. #?
    Yes, first two digits are the year model. I'm not sure if this always applies.

Rob

Unisaw

I have heard that unisaws have a generic problem with cracking of the trunions if they are shipped or moved on their side. I have seen this once.

Talking PM66 vs Unisaw

I have measure the tops and the PM is a couple of inchs longer and alittle wider.And the throat plate is alittle bigger also.Not enought to raise cane about.So which color do you prefer???