Thread: Differences between PM 65 and 66?

Differences between PM 65 and 66?

Greetings all,

New member here and as of last night the new owner of a "ready to be restored" PM 65 table saw. Supposedly from early 1970's. I've been web searching without much success to learn the differences between PM 65 and the much more common PM 66. This PM 65 came stock with a 1.5 horse 3 phase motor which was replaced with 1.5 horse single phase a few years ago.

Any and all insights will be greatly appreciated. Will I be able to use PM 66 parts for my restoration?

Steve

Oh, goodie, I can be the first with a smart-alecky post to a first-time poster:

PM 66 - PM65 = 1

hahahahaha

Welcome to SMC...you might check the oldwwmachine.com web site although Googling "powermatic 65" yields some interesting things.

Welcome to the Creek...hope you hang around for a spell.

Oh, we LOVE pictures...so post 'em...especially for this baby!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-11-2008 at 6:34 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Oh, goodie, I can be the first with a smart-alecky post to a first-time poster:

PM 66 - PM65 = 1

hahahahaha
    Ahhh, I totally thought of doing that, but then I didn't want to be "that" guy. But I guess I'm "this" guy now.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-11-2008 at 6:43 PM.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

...like totally, man....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Steve,

Congrats on the “new” PM65. I believe PM66 production started in 1966, so your 65 was manufactured in 1966 or earlier. The most notable differences would be the cast iron plinth on the PM65 cabinet. Also the front and rear trunnions on the 65 are closely spaced and forward of the center of the cabinet. The center trunnion is very short in length and the arbor (or bearing arm) cantilevers to the rear of the trunnion assembly. The PM66 by contrast has the front and rear trunnions spaced at the extreme front and rear of the cabinet and the famous boxed center trunnion. The trunnion assembly on the PM66 weighs approximately 150lbs. While somewhat lighter in construction, the PM65 trunnion is nevertheless very durable, and the saws have lasted well. With a caring restoration, you should expect another 40 or so years of service, plus you’ll have the benefit of detailed knowledge of the maching. I recommend visiting www.owwm.org. A search on PM65 should turn up a lot of good info.

-Scott

Thanks for the newbie razzing and info

I figured some 1 would do that...

I will get some pics together soon and post. Seems like I have an original steel 6 ft table extension which I read was an option at one point. Cast iron plinth. Missing the dust door cover likes lots of other folks. Serial # 2-2587, so does that make it a 62?

Steve