Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ID This tree

ID This tree

This tree is in the yard in my shop. I don't particularly like the looks of it, so I would like to harvest it for stock (if worthwhile). The replacement will be mesquites or other native desert trees. Not native to Arizona by the looks of it, but that's as much as I can tell. Any ideas?

Aaron,
    Based on the leaves and branch growth I would wager that it is some variety of Japanese maple (Acer palmatum). My only experience with these is as ornamnetal landscape not as project stock, but I will add that they can be quite pricey.

Eric

I agree that it looks like a jap maple. I just bought a small one of these for in my landscaping and it was over a hundred dollars for it at the end of year close out. The one I got was in a 3 gallon bucket, so you can imagine the size, not very big but expensive. You should consider seeing if someone would want to transplant it to their yard or something. I have no idea what it looks like inside.

Don't have a clue what it is, but it looks like a good example of how not to trim a tree. It looks like the ends of the branches have just been whacked off and it caused "witches broom" (all those small limbs radiating from one spot) to form.
    And now for something completely different....

I ain't no "treeologist" but it sure doesn't look like any Japanese (or other) maple I've ever seen. Bark seems rougher. JM's don't typically branch like that either.

A little off subject, but that has to be one of my biggest pet peeves ever is people who butcher trees like that (especially large oaks/sycamores and such).

For a trash tree or something that is just there, sure, but i nearly cringe when i see someone cut back a large oak like that It completely kills the beauty of what a tree is).

Please take no offense in regards if you did that to your tree, there is a difference in scrub trees and large beautiful full age trees.

*rant off*

I concur on jap maple btw.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I found a picture of a violin made of jap maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Please take no offense in regards if you did that to your tree, there is a difference in scrub trees and large beautiful full age trees.
    None taken, the tree was there and in that condition when I got the building. I have to agree with some of the sentiment that says the bark is too rough for a JM. The shoots coming off of the limbs are a light red/pinkish color if that is of any additional help.

That looks like Silver Maple (Acer Saccharinum) to me although, bear in mind, I'm in the North East. It could be a species that we don't have here and there are a lot of maple species.

Silvers grow rapidly, have roots that stick up in your yard and generally make a mess.

Looks like a power company hack job.

It has been a lot of years since I was in landscape but I planted a lot of Japanese maples. The leaves look right but they wouldn't ever get that big here. With a real growing season and lots of sun it still could be.

Regardless I bet that top section will have some cool grain in it.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    My guess is silver maple because of the rougher bark and the narrow angle limbs to each other. It is just leafing out, so it is hard to see the mature shape of the leaf. Silver maple will have a silver sheen on the back side of the leaf.

On the bright side, if the trim job was done right, you wouldn't have a trunk that stays thick all the way to the top of the tree.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Fred

I cant' believe you don't recongize Fred the tree. I haven't seen Fred in a while.

Really, I have no idea (like you couldn't tell from the first part.)

14. "Fence Tree" is the popular name. It is of the sub species Galvanusmetallicus Arboreedum which, as every one knows, is the one that grows next to galvanized metal wire fences.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Looks like a power company hack job..........

Joe
    I agree with Joe on this, around here I've seen trees basically cut off about 10' below the power lines leaving nothing but the trunk, on others removal of all branches/limbs on the line side leaving you a bare trunk on one side and the other with all of its God given glory (at least for the first year).
    David