Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered Today - Grizzly G0513X2

Ordered Today - Grizzly G0513X2

After much study and listening, I placed the order today for the 513X2 bandsaw.

Now we'll see how good you all are at giving advice. (You have never failed me yet!)

I also followed the advice of many and called Suffolk for an assortment of 4 blades to get me started (using their 4 for the price of 3 special).

Hopefully I'll soon have a nice gloat with photos.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Advice is not in short supply here!

You lucky dog. That one is on my short list. Let us see it and hear about it when you get it set up.

Blog Entries
    Congrats Brian. I get that stupid grin on my face every time I fire up my G0513X. Go to Home Depot and by the $45.00 Magswitch featherboard in Orange, with Ridgid stamped on it for $39.99. Great accessory for this saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

you will like it, it makes a good sound when you turn it on (am i weird to enjoy that sound?)

Get some more blades though when you can, only thing the factory blade may be good for is just doing rough cuts and maybe some general patterning, but not resawing or fine detail patterns.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Brian,
    Congrats. You won't be disappointed with the saw I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.
    Set up isn't bad either. The "big" adjustment I had to make with mine was shimming the block where the post for the upper blade guides. The post moved away from the blade as it was lowered (about 1/8" or so), which was enough to be visible.
    Still waiting for that rainy day to buy a Trimaster blade for it... but the Woodslicers are good 'nuff for now.

Cheers & we'll expect pics....

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Congrats Brian. I get that stupid grin on my face every time I fire up my G0513X. Go to Home Depot and by the $45.00 Magswitch featherboard in Orange, with Ridgid stamped on it for $39.99. Great accessory for this saw.
    Glen, I was ready to head over to the city of Orange to get one at their Home Depot. Then I went online and saw you mean it's the color orange. Sometimes my river runs slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    you will like it, it makes a good sound when you turn it on (am i weird to enjoy that sound?)

Get some more blades though when you can, only thing the factory blade may be good for is just doing rough cuts and maybe some general patterning, but not resawing or fine detail patterns.
    I go to great lengths to make shop tools sound right. I made a sound-insulated box for the router in my router table and bought the table saw blade and the dust collector that tested the quietest. So I'm glad to hear it sounds right.

I ordered blades from Suffolk at their recommendation:
    1/4" x 8 tpi.
    3/8" x 4tpi.
    1/2" x 3tpi.
    3/4" x 2-3 tpi.

That is supposed to cover regular furniture curves, bandsaw boxes, and resaw.

I mentioned that I was willing to buy bi-metal but they steered me to the regular "Swedish Steel".

Slow rivers often run deep....
    FYI I made a custom feather board for mine. Basically screwed one to the bottom of a plywood riser box and screwed another to the top. I use it for resawing wider stock to apply pressure to the board top n bottom, not just on the bottom. Plucked the idea from a WW mag, not sure which one...

Greg

On its way!

Grizzly says it has left the mother ship and is in the hands of Fed Ex!

Congrats!

As I am sure you know, take a good look at the crate before signing for it. My crate had some damage on the top. I didn't see it until a few months later, but it looks as if something was rammed into the top BS wheel door. Only the door has a dent in it, and everything works fine. But take a close look.

I also got the Suffolk blades refereced. I found that for the resaw, I had a rough edge, and a surprisingly large kerf 1/16th of an inch on the 3/4 blade.

I picked up a 1/2 woodslicer at highland HW and will be giving that a whirl on some resawing, perahps as early as this weekend. I'll report back if I see a big difference.

But the short story is that I just don't know how I did WW without this BS before. I should have got my G0513X much earlier.

Brian

You will love the 513x2! One thing that may save you a problem in the setup - check this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77456

I posted a picture of a problem I had with the blade guard. The bolts used to mount the guard take thread in the post (they call it a hose) on which the blade guides are mounted. The thickness of that post is minimal and I stripped the female threads during the installation. I didn't think I put much pressure on them. Maybe this will save you the same problem.

Thanks guys. By the way, nice photo, John!

Hey John, I posted in another thread that I finally ordered the G0513X2 and it arrived and I'm all set. I just wanted to note that my Blade guard was already attached when it arrived, so I didn't have any setup related to that. I'm keeping your solution in mind if I ever have to remove it and reattach it though.

Peter, I really don't recall whether the guard was in place or whether I removed it for some reason in my setup - but I distinctly remember that sick feeling of the stripped threads!! Glad you didn't have the issue.