Thread: Pre-lateral planes

Pre-lateral planes

Hello everyone. While doing some planing the other day I began to wonder if anyone else uses their pre-lateral Stanley planes at all? To be more specific, at the time I wondered this, I was taking some wispy shavings in pine with a Type 2 Stanley #7 ( I also have a Type 4, Stanley#6). I know some would probably think this is a no-no , as this is a collectible plane, but I enjoy using these early planes, and am not put off by the extra adjustment time to get the iron lined up. The plane is not mint, but has been restored as far as having the base casting painted (as there remained only about 1% of the original japanning), and a coat of hand rubbed shellac on the knob & tote. Otherwise, all other surfaces have the beautiful patina created by 135 years of use. The plane is not corroded at all, someone definitely took care of it. The metal surfaces are almost black with age. All the parts are the correct vintage, but I have installed a later vintage iron in the plane, as I do not want to wear down the original( the later iron is slightly thicker as well). I occasionally like to pull this one off the shelf and use it for what it was made for, but I use it carefully, and on well behaved woods , as I don't want to put too much strain on it. And when I set it on the bench, it goes right in the tool tray so it can't be knocked off the bench or damaged. If I have rough work to do, out comes my Record#07 instead. Anyone else enjoy using these early planes? I don't think a bit of light use now and then can hurt, and it helps to justify the collection.

Steve

Use it! There are enough pre-laterals out there that using it won't hurt it's value. It's not that rare. At any rate, it's real value is to it's owner so do with it what you wish. I often use my iron planes like pre-lateral types finding it easier to make lateral adjustments with a small wooden mallet. To me the lateral lever isn't real good at making small adjustments. A light tap with a mallet (or scrap of wood) works much better.

Use it! You're not going to hurt it, it's just doing what it was designed to do.

Steve,
    My favorite is my pre-lateral #7, fitted with a Hock blade. It has a chipped front shoulder and my dad's initials engraved on the side. It connects me with a very long life (the plane's, not mine). I still remember the first time I watched my dad use it, fitting an entry door.

Use it. If nothing else, that's why you use it.

Bruce

Thanks for the replies guys, figured maybe I was the only one, but I guess not. There is not the sentimental connection that you have Bruce, but I do enjoy using these early planes the most. At least now I won't feel as though I'm doing something wrong when I use it.
    Steve

Greetings. I am just beginning to venture into the use of hand planes.
    As such what is meant by pre-lateral plane?
    Thanks
    Just a Beginner
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Blog Entries
    I believe that those planes were 'born' to flatten wood much as a some of us were (not me, I am definitely not a natural). If a master craftsman were removed from the work he loves, a part of him would die.

I just can't look at a plane and see it as just a collectible, but I understand that 'museum' pieces should be kept for the future. I just think they should be allowed to play occasionally, too.

I'm soooo confused...

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Blog Entries

Sites to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Stearns View Post
    Greetings. I am just beginning to venture into the use of hand planes.
    As such what is meant by pre-lateral plane?
    Thanks
    Just a Beginner
    Victor
    There is a type study of Stanley Planes at www.rexmill.com types 1-4 are the pre-lateral planes of Neander lore.

The type 5 was the first Stanley metal bench plane with the lever that would move the top of the blade to one side or the other. Since moving the top causes the bottom to move, it changes the relationship of the sharpenned edge to the work. Before the lateral adjuster, this was either done by hand or with light taps from a hammer or a piece of wood.

We all begin somewhere. This is one of the better communities to begin.

Have fun,

jim