Thread: Turning Beads

Turning Beads

Is it just me or are beads difficult to turn? It really is hit and miss, While I do seem to be improving I can't seem to reliably turn beads without gouging up my project.

I have tried using both a spindle gouge and skew, I really like the crispness of a skew produced bead but I can only seem to turn the right side, the left side the skew goes hog wild and tears up the piece. The gouge is less dramatic, I can roll the tool fine and round over a bead but the spacing isn't as tight or nice looking.

What's the trick??? Share some of the mojo.......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    Is it just me or are beads difficult to turn? It really is hit and miss, While I do seem to be improving I can't seem to reliably turn beads without gouging up my project.

I have tried using both a spindle gouge and skew, I really like the crispness of a skew produced bead but I can only seem to turn the right side, the left side the skew goes hog wild and tears up the piece. The gouge is less dramatic, I can roll the tool fine and round over a bead but the spacing isn't as tight or nice looking.

What's the trick??? Share some of the mojo.......

Thanks
    This reminds me of the man who walked up to the street musician on an NY street and asked "How do you get to Carnage Hall?"
    Without missing a beat, the musician replied "practice man, practice."

It sounds like the skew works for you on one side, just do some scrap spindles and work on the other.
    I use bead cutting scrapers for the smaller sized stuff. Kind of like playing the radio and calling myself a musician
    Change One Thing

Mac,
    If I don't concentrate hard when I do them then I have the same problem. If I have to have matching beads or a series of them I do some practice before I do them. Sorta like "getting into the groove". Also, I probably do things a little backwards, on the right side of the bead I us the long point down and on the left I use the short point down.

I use a skew......lotsa practice.....get it close....fine tune it with the `100 grit gouge...
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The guy that taught me the most about turning always says that there are only really two things you can do on a lathe....turn beads and turn coves. When you think about it just about every thing is either a bead or a cove in different degrees and sizes.

I've struggled with small beads, under 1", in the same way you describe with trouble on the left side. It seems that your body gets in the way and affects the way you hold the tool on that side. If you concentrate on watching the way the bevel rides the wood on your good side and try to duplicate that tool presentation on the other side it will eventually become more natural regardless of whether you're using a gouge or a skew. But like George said, practice, practice, practice.

I know practice is the key, but it seems that beads should be easy and I wanted to know if I was just being a doofus and missing something or if these really are as challenging as they seem to be. You are right on the left side my body is in the way, very awkward, not sure if I should switch hands or what? I thought using a larger skew might help me avoid either the long or short points from grabbing.

To the poster that indicated that he uses the long point down on the left side of the bead, do you roll the tool up from the groove to the top of the bead?

Thanks, I am trying to teach myself this skill and I am improving but it is not coming as easy as some of the other things I have done.

I've never been able to turn a bead with a skew. I use a 3-bevel point tool. I haven't been doing beads very long, but it's easy with this tool. I've just learned how to make them recently, after watching Stacey ?'s video.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Richard Raffan, in his video, suggests that an overhand grip may work for turning beads to the left with the skew. I find that it helps to put my thumb against the skew for turning right beads and holding a strong underhand grip for left beads. Positive pressure against possible problems works for me.
    Regards,
    Dick

Mac,

Have you taken a turning class? Like a lot of physical skills, turning a bead is something that's hard to learn from reading a book. Frequently, it takes hands on instruction to get the hang of it. Practicing the wrong technique, not matter how long and frequently you practice, will yield little more than frustration. Working with a good instructor will make your practice sessions much more productive.

Barring that, there are several good videos that show how to turn basic spindle shapes. I love watching such videos, but they are a poor substitute for a good in-person lesson from a good teacher.

Good luck!

David, I am looking into the local Woodcraft course as well as the local AWW chapter.

I will have to track down some good videos.

An investment in an oval skew with a radius grind, ( 1/2" Crown), bev. on both sides, works just fine.

Just remember, typing is easy, after six months.