Thread: Bandsaw blade alignment

Bandsaw blade alignment

Hello all (from New Zealand). I normally hang out in the wood turners group. Thought I might ask a question of this group about my bandsaw.
    When it is cutting the blade veres off to the right. I find I have to feed the stock at an angle to get a straight cut. I'm sure I've read the reason somewhere but can't find it.
    I'd appreciate any comment on the subject.
    Thanks. Denis
    The man on the top of the mountain didn't fall there.

From the other side of the Ditch

Hi Denis

If you look through this reference source I am sure you'll find a variety of perspectives / answers to your question ~ Bandsaws and Blades information sites

Good Health
    Tony Ward

Denis,
    You're probably experiencing blade drift - there was recently a discussion on this same topic.

A regular bandsaw blade only lasts for a few hours of use... I have known several people who went from hating to loving their bandsaw by buying a new blade.

As a blade wears and the teeth are bent slightly by the tires, the blade will drift slightly... a degree or two... which is fixed by adjusting the fence. However, if you are cutting green wood (as turners often do) with a blade designed for dry wood, or if you have too many teeth on the blade for the type of cut, or if you try to cut too fast, the kerf will fill with packed sawdust, and the blade will find it easier to take a new path, rather than what you wanted. Thus there can be lots of things that lead to your problem... not all of which are solved by adjusting for the natural drift of the blade.

Adjust the blade in a way that the tooth are extending over the wheels. That way the blade can not be damaged/tooth bent.
    Simply spoken: Do as taught in school!

Quote Originally Posted by Jochen Schroecker View Post
    Adjust the blade in a way that the tooth are extending over the wheels...Do as taught in school!
    It depends on the saw. on a machine with crowned wheels, the band rides in the middle of the wheel. Charlie's got it right though, 99% of problems like this are due to a band that is either worn or has too many TPI.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jochen Schroecker View Post
    Adjust the blade in a way that the tooth are extending over the wheels. That way the blade can not be damaged/tooth bent.
    Simply spoken: Do as taught in school!
    That only applies to flat tire band saws (usually Euro machines) and generally only for blades 1/2" and up. Crowned tires that are typical on most NA design band saws are designed to have the bands centered on the crown.
    ----

To the OP...blade drift is normal and excessive blade drift is a sure sign that you need to replace the band.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Suggest you read last year post by Roy Hatch re: bandsaw tracking, for one possible solution. He found that adjusting the blade on tire tracking solved his problem of cutting angle being offset from feed direction. Also, David Marks had comments on how to make this adjustment (which was to adjust in same manner as noted on previous post this week, same subject). Having same concern here and need to adjust new BS, which is why I just read your post. Timely.
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 03-15-2008 at 8:47 PM.

Thank you all for your useful advice.

Denis
    The man on the top of the mountain didn't fall there.