Thread: Kiln

Kiln

This is a kiln built in 2002 from plans that I got from Pete Kekel. It is an old upright freezer (28"L,28"W,58"H). The compressor and all lines were removed to provide max space inside the kiln.

Pic 2 is the therometer/hydrometer that provides temperature and humidity readings from a remote unit mounted inside the kiln.

Pic 3 shows the inside of the kiln and has two 60 watt bulbs mounted in waterproof fixtures. They are attached to a prewired, waterproof, portable thermostat that turns them on and off to control to temperature inside.
    There is also a continuous run computer fan that runs while the kiln is in operation to circulate the air. Installed in the back is a vent but I have never had to open it.

The drying cycle is between 21 and 30 days.

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andy

~Success is preparation meeting opportunity~

kilm

very nice setup, do you put blanks in it or do you put roughed out pieces?????

i use a dishwasher with meat probe thermostat and heater

Very nice setup. How much would you say you spent on the parts other than the fridge shell?

Great idea for a kiln . Very nice

Charlie

I do roughed out bowls, box blanks and other small items. I also use it as a drying cabinet for items finished with oil. Since it maiintains a constant temperature it is ideal for drying those items.
    Andy

Chris

The shell was free. IIRC the parts were less than a $100. total. I have all the part #s and source if you would like them.
    Andy

What is the average drying time for your roughed out bowls Andy?

I'd be very interested in the details for the parts!

Andy,
    This looks great! I'd be very interested in your parts list and #'s as I'd like to try my hand at assembling one like it! Can you post the information to the thread?
    Tom

Ron

Usually about 21 days. Set temp. to 80º, after 7-10 days change temp to 90º, another 7-10 days set to 100º. When kiln humidity is down to 35% remove load and let rest in the shop for a week, then you should be ready to go.
    Andy

Kiln parts

Thomas

Thermostat, prewired portable, waterproof with temp range of at least 110 degrees.
    Part #CR2045 from Teksupply.com

Thermometer/Hygrometer that reads humidity from a remote sensor.
    Part # 6301030 from Radio shack

Cooling Fan, continous run
    Part # E89061, Catalogue # 273-241C from Radio Shack

The lighting fixtures and vent I picked up from the local big box store. e. g. Lowes, Home Depot

I purchased my parts 6 years ago so I don't know about price escalation.
    Andy

Thanks

Andy, Thanks for the info.

That is a great looking kiln. Will any old freezer work or does it have to be one of the old, old ones will all metal lining? (I have heard of people making smokers out of the metal lined type.

Joel

I think that either will work. They are both well insulated and that's what you need to maintain a constant temp and not continuously have the heater (light bulbs) on. The thermostat turns them on when necessary to maintain the temp. One posssible problem with a metal one is that it may eventually rust because of the moisture.
    Andy