Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4/4 or 5/4 - Two Questions

If I want true 7/8" as I do tomorrow fro a chest top... I purchase 5/4 S-2.. Joint it on one face and take it to the planer for exact.. Better to have too much as someone stated.. than not enough. That promotes compromise from the original game plan.

I agree with Mike Morgan as stated. If I need additional or for another project (there's always another project), I buy 8/4.. resaw and then take it to the jointer-planer. That gives me inventory with the advantage that I also have "book-match" if called for which often it is..

Sarge..

The answer is, it depends. It depends on the piece you're making. Does it require long pieces; long wide pieces? I can usually get 7/8" out of 4/4 rough lumber, and especially if I'm only showing one side because then I can plane the back side "hit and miss".

If you're going to buy 5/4 to mill to less than 1 1/8" it seems to me to be wasteful, and your point about the dust/chips to take away adds to the effort.
    Visit Peercon.com

I'll go on a limb and advise 4/4 stock.

First there is a little under a board foot more in a 5/4 5" wide board (96") than 4/4. That wouldn't actually be a lot but does add up.

Secondly, I am assuming panels will still be 3/4 thick. If they are then get a bit extra wood (always a good idea anyway) and pick the thicker/straighter boards for your frame stock and the others for panels.

The supplier I use I almost always can get 7/8 from the 4/4 but like already mentioned other suppliers vary.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I stated I would purchase 5/4 to end with 7/8" exact. I agree with those that it is somewhat of a waste but.....

If that stock has any cup or bow off the rack or... you down-size from 12-14' at your shop and let it sit a few days to acclimate.... there is the risk it was not dryed properly and the size-down cut lets moisture escape rapidly. You end up with some cup or bow even though you brought it home other-wise.

I see the 5/4 as insurance which is actually a waste of your money.... Until the accident then you realize the value it really has. Just my opinion and approach as 4/4 might be fine.. and then it might not if you want to end up with 7/8" exact..

Sarge...