Thread: H.C. March Miter Machine

H.C. March Miter Machine

While Lion miter machines using compound-lever knives are seen most often in professional picture framing and cabinet shops, another handy miter machine is the old H.C. Marsh, later made by Stanley. It'll handle 4"-wide stock, and also serve as a miter clamp.

It cuts the initial miters and/or fine-tunes the fit by cutting both simultaneously.

And it then rotates 90 degrees for fastening.

Not as fast as a Lion knife, but with other handy features.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

That looks very interesting! You said it was later produced by Stanley also. What model number was the Stanley? I'm guessing it would be easier to find than the Marsh.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks, Bob! Not sure what they would normally go for, but at $80.00+ just for shipping, I think I'll pass on that one. Will keep my eye out for one though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Thanks, Bob! Not sure what they would normally go for, but at $80.00+ just for shipping, I think I'll pass on that one. Will keep my eye out for one though.
    80 bucks is a fair purchase price, and I can ship 32lbs for a lot less than $98.50. Perhaps the seller merely used the USPS calculator and doesn't know the alternatives. As it won't sell because of that, you can always run the numbers with UPS or one of the truck freight companies and make the seller a proposal.

Nice to see you here Bob..
    Things are looking nicer all the time.