Thread: Spindle turning question

Spindle turning question

Hello All,
    I usually post over in the other forum, but my recent woodworking has started to bring me into the turning world. I have recently been building windsor chairs (or at least my version) and desire to improve on my design and speed of my production by adding a lathe to the workshop. I have searched the forum but have not found a lot of info on spinlde turning. I am curious if anyone has any experience turning long thin spindles like you would see in the back of a windsor chair? I have read through several lathe books but can't seem to find much info. My thoughts are that once you get below 5/8 or 1/2 inch in diameter the thing will be flopping around in breeze.

Nate

Nate

I make a fair amount of balusters for contractors that want to replace broken pieces. It doesn't have to be long and thin to start flopping in the wind. A spindle steady is a must. You need to invest or make a spindle steady. It doesn't have to be fancy like the Oneway steady but it needs to be sturdy. I use the Oneway steady for my turning.\

Terry

you will need a steady rest , you can buy one or make one. there are plans on www.hdv.net ( go to the left side and click on tools ) his is very simple to make and is very stable.i made mine out of metal square tube and went to goodwill and purchased a used pair of rollerblades to get the wheels for $2.00. i had the metal and washers and nuts but i purchased the threaded rod for under $10.00. again his is easy to make and solid and you could make 2 of them cheap.check out his other tools his hollowing light is a good one.and his sharpening system is easy and cheap and works great , i have been using his method for over 3 years and have razor sharp tools. and just because i say cheap don't think it is no good.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

There are a couple of plans for steady rests over on the woodturning online forum. As others have said you'll need one for spindles. You need not spend a lot of money on one though.

A book I'd recommend is Woodturning for Cabinetmakers, by Michael Dunbar. It goes into spindle design and procedure.

Gents,
    Thanks for the info and idea, that turning website is fantastic..
    Thanks a bunch!!

Nate

6. OK my 2 cents..turning windsor type spindles, gives you a weaker spindle..Did you know that? A spokeshaved spindle, going with the grain is much stronger...especially if it is straight from a log..it will follow the split and naturally give you the strength and ability to bend a little when needed..just my 2cents from 30 yrs of making handmade windsors

Hi,

MY .5 cents... Jack's is worth at least four times mine. I've made one windsor under Jim Rendle's supervision, and he too insisted that the back spindles be made with a spokeshave. Now the legs, which were thicker, were made on a lathe, so you might indeed need one and perhaps a spindle steady. If you are going to be making many of these, you might think about getting a duplicator.. I know of a new one at a good price, but that would only be necessary if you were doing production work.
    Good luck, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

8. Thanks Hilel..following me around and agreeing with me gets you a pat on the back! Now back to the spindles..look for 2 books..Windsor chairs by Dunbar and greenwoodworking & Making a chair from a tree by Alexander..the last one will be tough to get the book, but he made a terrific video..if you are going to make chairs, these are the bibles

There is a local guy that makes some great chairs and he is well known for his chairs. http://www.curtisbuchananchairmaker.com/homepage.html
    He has demoed at our club a few times.
    He cuts his own wood then splits them from logs to get straight grained wood for use in his chair legs he roughs them out the puts them in a deep freezer to dry them. buy doing it this way you are using sraight grained wood and I would not think it would matter if its turned or spoke shaved to shape.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Hi All,
    Thanks so much for all the info, I think I got a pretty good handle on it..I will post the pics of the project when I get it finished up..Thanks
    Nate