Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: router for router table

router for router table

Hi,
    A couple of weeks ago I wanted some input on what router I should buy for mounting to my router table and for general use but I did not get to many recomendations.I know that a few of you fellow woodworker have more than one router but I am looking for one kit that I can mount on my table and easily remove for plunge routing.The candidates are dewault,bosch and porter cable and maybe even Rigid(though I have not heard much positive about this kit).I really would like the height adjustment from the top capability and easy bit changes from the table.
    Lets hear some recomendations to help me decide.
    Thank you ,
    Marc
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

I don't know first hand, but from what I have read the Triton 2 and 1/2 is a good one. Fine Woodworking gave it top billing in a review of routers for router tables.

I think it is made "down under." One thing I remember is you can change bit from the top of the table. That would save buying a lift.

Steve Bolton

I cant find anything on the triton 2 or 2 1/2.Please help
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    I don't know first hand, but from what I have read the Triton 2 and 1/2 is a good one. Fine Woodworking gave it top billing in a review of routers for router tables.

I think it is made "down under." One thing I remember is you can change bit from the top of the table. That would save buying a lift.

Steve Bolton

Search for Triton 2.25HP router.
    on the road during the week, will reply to PMs on weekends.

Finewood Working had an article on it. I will see if I can find it.

Steve bolton

Triton 2 1/4

Found it.It is a permanent plunge router.It also has a lot of extras guide bushings an straight bit.Is this good.Does anyone have this router? here is a demo www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz5kPKXjqQ
    Last edited by Marc Prudhomme; 03-15-2008 at 7:25 PM.

I've used a Bosch 1617 EVSPK this way for quiet awhile(a few years). As a matter of fact I just replaced the bearings in it this past week so you know it has seen some use. No problems at all with it. (BTW, changing the bearings was super easy and only cost me $13.90 for two sets including shipping from www.thebigbearingstore.com.) The motor always came out easily and into the plunge base for hand routing. Mine don't have above the table height adjustment but I never had all that much problem doing it below table. It has a course step adjustment to get it close and a fine adjustment to zero it in. I just have bought a bigger router to put in the table. I left the Bosch base mounted to the old insert just incase I want or need to drop it back into the table. I hear a lot of folks are very happy with the Dewalt but not so much bragging on the PC800 series. The other PC models have always been the standard so I don't know why this is.
    I hope this helps.
    Rob

So far I am liking the triton.The only thing that sucks is that you have to reach down to turn the switch off to lock the collet for bit changes

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    So far I am liking the triton.The only thing that sucks is that you have to reach down to turn the switch off to lock the collet for bit changes
    The freuds have above table locks. The milwaukee might also. I have the freud, can't recommend it enough.

The plunge mode does not get good reviews.Dont know much about this router other than what I have read
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    The freuds have above table locks. The milwaukee might also. I have the freud, can't recommend it enough.

Marc,

I belong to an Aussie forum similar to this one, but I will admit that they are a bit more outspoken than here, the moderators will let it get more gritty if you catch my drift. Seems that there is some conversation about Triton being in some business trouble, personally I can not comment to the validity of these claims. If I were you, I would look at buying a dedicated router for the table (PC7518 ) and some PC 690's for other duties. I made a few purchases where they tossed in PC690's as freebies, got my 7518 for a song at a Rockler four hour sale. I also picked up a PRL from Woodpecker for another song, (scratch and dent), still have not found the defect.

Heather

Pc 890

I put a Porter Cable 890 into my router table, and am quite pleased with it. It has a 2 1/2hp motor, and above the table height adjustment. When you get it with the fixed and plunge bases, the fixed base lives in the table and you still have the plunge base for hand held uses.

I particularly like the through the handle dust collection for both bases, particularly the table base.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I have the Triton 2 1/2 and I love it. The abililty to change from above the table is great. It has good power. Absolutely no complaints and all for less than $250.

Heather I searched the pc 7518 from PC and all I could find was speed control problems everywhere .I probably wont be going with this router...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    Marc,

I belong to an Aussie forum similar to this one, but I will admit that they are a bit more outspoken than here, the moderators will let it get more gritty if you catch my drift. Seems that there is some conversation about Triton being in some business trouble, personally I can not comment to the validity of these claims. If I were you, I would look at buying a dedicated router for the table (PC7518 ) and some PC 690's for other duties. I made a few purchases where they tossed in PC690's as freebies, got my 7518 for a song at a Rockler four hour sale. I also picked up a PRL from Woodpecker for another song, (scratch and dent), still have not found the defect.

Heather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    Heather I searched the pc 7518 from PC and all I could find was speed control problems everywhere .I probably wont be going with this router...
    OK, I'll kick in. Embrace the fact that having one kit that will do it all is like wishing a combo blade did as good of a job as a task specific blade. Just not gonna happen. This is not to say you should not endeavor to choose well for this purchase.

Table routers that don't require lifts are few but closer to perfect than ever before. My dad has the Triton (it is really sweet) but, he does hate the power switch thing. This is a safety requirement on routers that self lock their collet, deal with it ;-) Read the "oops" stories of the folks who bypassed the on board switch and mounted an external paddle only. . . not pretty.

I run the Mil 5625 in the table; variable speed, torque controlled, tons of power, smooth, etc., etc. I've run a lumberyard of wood through it, it has never blinked.

Had a DeWalt 618 kit but had collet issues. Returned it and got the Mil 5616-24 dual base kit. This works well for me as I already had the 5615 and these two routers and all their bases are interchangeable. I did not plan this Milwaukee-a-thon, it just happened.

I also have Bosch, and old Ryobi that is quite crude but won't die and even a 30 year old C-man that I dedicate to specific tasks. I never knew routers demonstrated herd-behavior but, here I am. You may very well end up with a stable of your own without even trying ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler